How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, if you swap to NBS MC, what wil happen with the rear drums brakes? Correct me if i'm wronng but, new MC will increase brake system pressure and rear brakes could be locked earlier then the front.

3rd Coast Z

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're gaining the ability to increase line pressure with less effort. Doesn't necessary mean you will be increasing line pressure exponentially every time you step on the brake. Also the line pressure is still distributed as before. There have been quite a few people who have done this upgrade with no issues whatsoever. It really is a great upgrade for the money. Don't forget you can also get 1 ton calipers to apply pressure over a larger area of the pads.

Sent from my iOuternet using Tapatalk

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id be curious to see how this would work on a 2500 (truck in sig). At quick glance through the catalog, it looks like all nbs 2500s are hydroboost. I wonder if that mc would work for my vacuum boosted obs 2500. On a side note, Ive never had an issue with my brakes as they've always felt as solid and effective as my nbs 1500 suburban; but why not go all out.

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3rd Coast Z came by the house today and we tackled the rear brakes and NBS master cylinder swap on my truck. WOW the difference is amazing! Don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
This really needs to be a sticky.

I did this today on my 97. I did the front brakes yesterday (new pads, calipers, rotors, and hoses) and when bleeding, heard fluid "gurgling" in the master cylinder. I have never been happy with the brakes. After reading the info on this upgrade, and since I needed a new master cylinder anyway, I thought today was the day. I was hesitant about it only because bending lines can sometimes be an issue to get them lined up properly and not cross thread. In this case, not an issue at all. Because of the way the lines go into the ABS module on mine, they were coiled right there and just bend down and back easily. I didn't tighten up the 2 mounting nuts on the master cylinder itself until I got the lines started. A little wiggle room always helps. I did have an issue with the front line with the adapter leaking, but I took it apart and put it back together and no leak. Don't argue with magic.

After bench bleeding the master and installing it, I let some fluid drip and had a firm pedal. I really think I could have gotten by without bleeding at the wheels, but I hit all 4 anyway. The feel and confidence in the brakes is much better. I know an iffy stock master cylinder factored in, but this is really nice and firm. I wonder how much of the improved pedal is due to the "upgraded" master cylinder or the fact that most of the ones in our trucks are approaching 20 years old. Either way, it's all good now. I got the master cylinder at Advance Auto for $63 (always check Retailmenot.com for discount codes, I got $30 off) and the adapter at Auto Zone for less than $3. The MC swap only takes a few minutes. Getting everything together and bleeding the brakes takes a lot more time, especially with beer breaks.

Last edited:

laxman21

Reaction score
Did this up grade a few weeks ago. Didn't really improve the brakes, really couldn't even get it to lock up, until I went out and activated the ABS system in grass.