master cylinder tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the right is An AC delco replacement MC, on the left is a tuffstuff universal. the specs seem to match, 1 1/8 bore, 1/2-20 and 9/16-18 ports. shallow hole. mounting spacing identical.

But the holes appear to be swapped, larger towards the back and smaller in front, as opposed to larger in front, smaller in back on OEM. im waiting to hear back from tuffstuff to see what they say. would i need to switch the lines so they line up with proper size fittings. im not sure if position in the master cylinder matters as far as brake operability

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT BRAKE OPTION CODE? Aside from the master cylinder, have the brakes been modified?

1. Why not use an OEM-style master cylinder? No need to make this more-complex than it needs to be.

2. The OEM master has the front-brake reservoir (larger reservoir, smaller threaded outlet port) at the rear of the master. Which reservoir is larger on the Tuff Stuff master? Your photo is kinda ambiguous, but if I were guessing I'd say the front of the master had the larger reservoir, and that is NOT GOING TO WORK for any application using low-drag calipers.

3. The OEM master is a Quick Take-Up design, as evidenced by the stepped casting. This is why the front brakes are activated by the rear pistons and larger reservoir, the ginormous rearmost piston is what accomplishes the quick take-up. The Tuff Stuff master may or may not be a Quick Take-Up design--the casting is stepped, but I can't see the rear where it accepts the booster pushrod--that piston should be ~40mm.

Essentially, I don't think that master is going to work.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT BRAKE OPTION CODE? Aside from the master cylinder, have the brakes been modified?

1. Why not use an OEM-style master cylinder? No need to make this more-complex than it needs to be.

2. The OEM master has the front-brake reservoir (larger reservoir, smaller threaded outlet port) at the rear of the master. Which reservoir is larger on the Tuff Stuff master? Your photo is kinda ambiguous, but if I were guessing I'd say the front of the master had the larger reservoir, and that is NOT GOING TO WORK for any application using low-drag calipers.

3. The OEM master is a Quick Take-Up design, as evidenced by the stepped casting. This is why the front brakes are activated by the rear pistons and larger reservoir, the ginormous rearmost piston is what accomplishes the quick take-up. The Tuff Stuff master may or may not be a Quick Take-Up design--the casting is stepped, but I can't see the rear where it accepts the booster pushrod--that piston should be ~40mm.

Essentially, I don't think that master is going to work.
Appreciate the input, i will follow up after i speak with the manufacturer. You brought up good questions to ask. The photo is ambiguous i agree, those kind of design answers werent available on their website

it is going on a 98 tahoe with factory front disk, and factory gmt800 rear disk

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after poking around the website and calling them. the front hole is the 1/2-20 and front brakes, and rear is 9/16-18 rear brakes. it is a quick take up design, they said it would work just the lines have to be swapped to align wit the correct brakes

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the front hole is the 1/2-20 and front brakes, and rear is 9/16-18 rear brakes. it is a quick take up design, they said it would work just the lines have to be swapped to align wit the correct brakes
Without seeing an exploded view, I can only say that that being a Quick Take-Up design seems unlikely to the point of impossible.

If your Tahoe has low-drag calipers, (JB5 or JB6) be really careful with this thing.