How to Mothball my project Truck - (Question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, bought a project truck, 1990 K3500 454 Flatbed Dually. Ran when parked.
It sat for two years in Wyoming, wouldn't start, had it shipped to VA as in-op.
Got it in my yard, sat for another year.
Fixed the ECU (water damage), ran good enough to get it to the shed.

Started the teardown, but life put it on pause again.

Now the Question:
What do I need to do to the truck to let it sit in my garage for another year or two, without ruining something that can easily be preventable now?

This is as far as I have got:
Step 1: Get it in a safe dry location
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

As it sits now:
[Radiator removed - Hose off, oil cooling lined disconnected, trans cooling lines disconnected, Battery removed and on trickle]
You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are miles ahead just by getting it out of the elements. Maybe top off the gas tank with ethanol free gas and fuel stabilizer of your choice. Pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil in, put plugs back. Plug your exhaust and intake to keep critters out. Mothballs for mice.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe top off the gas tank with ethanol free gas and fuel stabilizer of your choice.
So that is a good point - I did put fuel stabilizer in it. Question is: is it better to pump all the gas out and let it sit for two years OR fill the tank full (including afore mentioned stabilizer) and let it sit for two years. Right now it is full and treated and circulated.

Pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil in, put plugs back. Plug your exhaust and intake to keep critters out. Mothballs for mice.
Didn't think of the plug trick - thanks and will do. Mothballs done.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and is it better to drain oil or let it sit full with the old oil? Same Q for the transmission. Not the same question for the coolant - it has been drained already - but do I need to do anything to prevent rust besides just cap open ports?

Probably answered my own question on oil and transmission (leave it in makes sense).

Coolant since it is out already? Maybe cap ports and refill block?

When I do get around to the rebuild, I don't want to be kicking myself later for something easy I can do now to prevent long term damage.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that is a good point - I did put fuel stabilizer in it. Question is: is it better to pump all the gas out and let it sit for two years OR fill the tank full (including afore mentioned stabilizer) and let it sit for two years. Right now it is full and treated and circulated.

Didn't think of the plug trick - thanks and will do. Mothballs done.
Mine sat with a 1/2 tank for 8yrs. Didn't do anything to it that I told you to do. Fired right up. A year later I dropped the tank for a pump, was still clean in there. Was a lot younger then. Not sure if the ethanol was as in gas then like it is now. If I was to do it now, 1/4 tank or less, just top it off, more I'd drain it and fill with the good stuff.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the cab and engine bay I highly recommend Fresh Cab (link). I use this in my stored vehicles. I put one in the cab and 2 under the hood. One on the intake and the other just wherever. They really do work! Way better than mothballs or little trees in my opinion. Also, throw in one of them baking soda boxes that are meant to keep your fridge fresh.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got vehicles parked that haven't run in years.

Fresh oil and filter--no acids in the oil to corrode bearings.
Air-up the tires (as needed.) If you've got Polyurethane or other non-bonded suspension bushings, jack the vehicle up, cram jack-stands under all four corners, and let the wheels hang with no load on 'em. Not the best idea for stock suspension bushings, though (except that stock bushings are probably ruined by now anyway, so it doesn't matter.)

Fogging the cylinders is the single-best thing you can do. Plug the tailpipe with "something"--rags or whatever, and put a note on the steering wheel saying to pull the plug back out before starting. Could do the same on the air-filter end--keep the critters from eating the air filter.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damprid canister in the interior, the insertable disc kind lasts about 2 months between drains and refills. I strongly do not recommend the fresh scent kind; it smells heavily of baby powder. Fortunately there is a no scent option.