How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaingun427

Reaction score
Perhaps the ecu could be reprogrammed? Or possibly swap out the sending unit board on the fuel pump? That may require the motor in the dash from the blazer. I honestly dont worry about the range. My console is actually a Frankenstein of a blazer console front end and the base and back end of my tahoe console I can provide pics later but it turned out pretty nicely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.. Got a 97 k1500 and I got my DIC in tonight. Wired exactly as you have here. But for any mileage readings I get -E- Any ideas why??

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that means you have a bad connection at either vss or serial data hookup.

chaingun427

Reaction score
Could be defective as well, check for temp, then speed first, did you connect the yellow wire on the dic to the purple on the serial data?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
"E" means error.

If everything else works, likely not compatible with the data stream or the info the DIC is looking for is absent for whatever reason...

chaingun427

Reaction score
My first one showed e when I plugged it in, all fhe wiring was right I plugged in another and it works great

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that means you have a bad connection at either vss or serial data hookup.

Gonna try rewiring it today..

Could be defective as well, check for temp, then speed first, did you connect the yellow wire on the dic to the purple on the serial data?

Temp works. When I start the truck, everything says 0.0 and then I drive a little bit and it switches to -E-. Yes we have the yellow wire to the purple wire at the OBDII port.

"E" means error.

If everything else works, likely not compatible with the data stream or the info the DIC is looking for is absent for whatever reason...

Hmm well try again today and see if we have anymore luck.

My first one showed e when I plugged it in, all fhe wiring was right I plugged in another and it works great

I only got one.. If it doesn't work I might have to try another one I guess!

Thanks guys!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Gonna try rewiring it today..

Temp works. When I start the truck, everything says 0.0 and then I drive a little bit and it switches to -E-. Yes we have the yellow wire to the purple wire at the OBDII port.

Hmm well try again today and see if we have anymore luck.

I only got one.. If it doesn't work I might have to try another one I guess!

Thanks guys!

This wouldn't happen to be one of the DIC modules where the compass uses the external flux valve would it?

(before the stupid "flux capacitor" questions begin, read here: http://www.firstmarkaerospace.com/fluxvalves.asp)

Looks like another sensor that plugs into the DIC module. If it's not there, you would have a connection spot (IE: pins) on the DIC that has nothing plugged in.

If you need one and don't have it, the DIC won't work properly.

You also need to have a temp sensor hooked up or it won't work properly either.

Last edited:

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This wouldn't happen to be one of the DIC modules where the compass uses the external flux valve would it?

(before the stupid "flux capacitor" questions begin, read here: http://www.firstmarkaerospace.com/fluxvalves.asp)

Looks like another sensor that plugs into the DIC module. If it's not there, you would have a connection spot (IE: pins) on the DIC that has nothing plugged in.

If you need one and don't have it, the DIC won't work properly.

You also need to have a temp sensor hooked up or it won't work properly either.

Got it working. Wrong pin on one of the plugs. My direction doesn't work though.