How to: 95-98 OBS and 99-02 NBS Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well my leather is rough so I was going to get a new steering wheel anyways. So I can either buy a new OBS wheel, add the controls to it, and get the new clockspring - or I can get a NBS wheel which already has the controls, and get the new clock spring. Is that right ?

It will need to be a 98+ OBS wheel though. The airbag and wheel are different on the 95-97.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right. You can also check 99-03 S-Series SUVs (Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada) for the same wheel and clockspring.

It will need to be a 98+ OBS wheel though. The airbag and wheel are different on the 95-97.

okay makes sense. Now to find a good steering wheel. I’ll look through this thread for the part numbers for the clock spring and controls. Thanks!

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
About to start this swap. Anyone have a link or part number for the PAC adapter?

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I had read through this entire thread before I started, but apparently not, because I'm usually pretty good at remembering potential hang ups.

I ended up having the same problem that BoxerPitMix did in the quoted post below.

Bumping an old thread...
So the S-10 Blazer clock spring I used was broken (I'm an idiot and installed it incorrectly).
I finally got around to ordering the 26087300 Denali SIR clock spring to replace it.
Got everything completely finished, all I have to do is snap on the airbag... Until I ran into this.
You must be registered for see images attach

The first clock spring I got from a 1999 s10 on eBay had the black connector, but the 2001 Cadillac wheel I got needs the yellow one. So I got one for a 2000+ S10 and ran into the issue where the connector at the steering column to the harness is different as this picture I grabbed from a Blazer forum shows.

His solution was to swap the pins at the airbag connector which I think I'll probably do.

I ended up popping the plugs apart and just swapping the pins from one to another. Worked out good.

But for me it would be nicer if I could swap the column connector pins because that clock spring is new and the one with the black airbag connector is used. I don't know if that's doable though. I can't find any information on those terminals. It's like they don't you messing with them or something :). And I did see where the OP had mentioned if it was a 95-97 OBS you would need to splice the old plug to the new clock spring which I also missed the first time through. I'm hesitant to do that though because there isn't a whole lot of information I can find on splicing SIR wires other than a bunch of people saying not to do it. The Factory Service Manual does mention there is a repair kit with special spices to do it, but that's about it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
About to start this swap. Anyone have a link or part number for the PAC adapter?
Search for a PAC adapter for a 2001-2002 Denali or 2002 Escalade.

I thought I had read through this entire thread before I started, but apparently not, because I'm usually pretty good at remembering potential hang ups.

I ended up having the same problem that BoxerPitMix did in the quoted post below.

The first clock spring I got from a 1999 s10 on eBay had the black connector, but the 2001 Cadillac wheel I got needs the yellow one. So I got one for a 2000+ S10 and ran into the issue where the connector at the steering column to the harness is different as this picture I grabbed from a Blazer forum shows.

His solution was to swap the pins at the airbag connector which I think I'll probably do.

But for me it would be nicer if I could swap the column connector pins because that clock spring is new and the one with the black airbag connector is used. I don't know if that's doable though. I can't find any information on those terminals. It's like they don't you messing with them or something :). And I did see where the OP had mentioned if it was a 95-97 OBS you would need to splice the old plug to the new clock spring which I also missed the first time through. I'm hesitant to do that though because there isn't a whole lot of information I can find on splicing SIR wires other than a bunch of people saying not to do it. The Factory Service Manual does mention there is a repair kit with special spices to do it, but that's about it.
As long as you have a good splice it is fine. There is no special lengths or resistances in the wires. The plugs though are unique in that if one is unplugged they close the circuit which tells the SIR computer the airbag is missing.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fact is, with Delphi/ Packard Weatherpack, Metripack connectors in the same series connectors the pins are the same but shell ( outer housing) may be slightly different depending on application. In same series it may 1 pin or as many as 8 or more.
So your doing a mod or upgrade. The new part your adding, same wire colors, same connector series, different shell? Rather than cutting in slice and crimping/ shrinking. Consider just unpinning one side of your mod repinning a matching connector. Slick, clean, no chance of introducing a problem crimping, shrinking etc.
Since GM has been big on using these type connectors inside and outside I have tryed to avoid crimping and shrinking as much as possible. Good luck.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring Info:

1. Cut the plug from the SIR coil and connect 4 wires to it, long enough to run to your stereo. I used OEM colors for simplicity.

At the clockspring:
Black - Ground
Grey - Dash light dimmer +12v
Green - Keyed power
Yellow - Data wire

At the radio connector:
Pin 5 – Black – Ground
Pin 7 – Grey – Dash Lights +12v
Pin 9 – Dk Green – Keyed +12v
Pin 14 – EMPTY - Remote Radio Control
CORRECTION:
At the Clockspring:
Yellow - Keyed power
Green- Data wire

if wired as originally written the voltage is going through the switches and resistors in the opposing direction, it may affect the voltage value.

This is a nice mod!

now, my 97 2500 did not have an airbag, but now it does.

Q1 Has anyone considered installing the airbag module and wiring to make swapped in airbag(s) active?

Q2 Did any of our trucks have only a drivers side airbag w/o passenger?

Q3 Would anyone have the necessary wiring diagrams to look into the system?

On a related note... I installed a complete 1995 interior into a 1994 cutlass supreme including complete dash, body harness, and airbags. Everything checked and worked.

thanks!

Last edited:

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is, with Delphi/ Packard Weatherpack, Metripack connectors in the same series connectors the pins are the same but shell ( outer housing) may be slightly different depending on application. In same series it may 1 pin or as many as 8 or more.
So your doing a mod or upgrade. The new part your adding, same wire colors, same connector series, different shell? Rather than cutting in slice and crimping/ shrinking. Consider just unpinning one side of your mod repinning a matching connector. Slick, clean, no chance of introducing a problem crimping, shrinking etc.
Since GM has been big on using these type connectors inside and outside I have tryed to avoid crimping and shrinking as much as possible. Good luck.
I guess I forgot to follow up on this. There is a harness repair pigtail for the newer style. I got it on ebay for $20ish i think. They are basically metripack pins, but do ground out or something in the housing to warn if it's not connected. Anyway, I just de-pinned the body side of the connector and put the newer housing from the repair kit on. Like you said, slick, clean, no problems.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am about to ripping hair out trying to get these things working.
i bought a sony xav-ax5600, which comes with custom programmable steering wheel settings in the menu, and a 3.5mm jack which has a ground and 2 inputs, one ive read is for bluetooth controls other for radio.

i have verified that the switches should function, checked continuity across them closed. verified i get different voltage drops across each switch. checked my incoming voltage. checked my ground.

i have tried without a, adapter as the only wire that goes to the head unit is the data wire and the head unit can be programmed to learn each voltage for what command you desire. no luck

i have tried with a PAC SWI-CP2, wiring basically the same as without which got me thinking that i might not even need the adapter. either way, still nothing

when you go to program the head unit it asks you to hold down desired function on the display, then hold down the desired button on the steering wheel. the online documents state that the desired function on the display should light up orange after success

next step is to call sony support, then the dreaded car audio professionals.

also what is the deal with the lights in the switches, i collected about 5 set from junkyards, none of the lights have worked in them