How much tint on a suburban ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ObsMills

Reaction score
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone knew how much tint one would need for a obs suburban by chance.

Trying to do as much to this truck myself as I can, and I want to try and tint the burban.

Any advice would help, even if you have a crew cab, that would help too so I can get a rough ballpark. I would rather have too much than not enough.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC most states say you can't go any darker than 30 or 35% on the front 2 side windows. The back windows can be as dark as you want. We had our 2002 Infiniti Q45 done with 5% (AKA limo tint) all around (except the windshield) and it was too dark. I had a hard time at night seeing the lanes when turning left at an intersection. My truck has 35% in front and 5% on the back window - much better. :waytogo:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think OP means how much as in, how much material will he need to cover all those windows. Dunno if anyone outside of the tint industry knows.. other than, "A LOT"

BTW, TX has 35% for front door windows, any more and the tickets are pricey. Not like when I was back in GA and the tickets were like $50. I'd just pay them. Here, I think it's $250+

Richard

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done a precut tint install on a merc wagon before. Was not too bad. Have to get the windows really clean with a razor blade

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need about 30', give or take, if buying a 24" roll of tint. However, you mess up a windows or 2 that number could easily double. The rear sides and rear window will be the toughest as they will require heat shrinking to be installed without any creases, etc. One thing you have on your side is that tinting over the factory smoked glass is VERY forgiving...any creases or contamination won't be visible from the outside. Please, please, please DO NOT buy the cheap **** from Walmart or any other big box store (you will thank me later).

I've been tinting for over 15 years (still own my own business and dabble here and there on the side)...if you have any other questions I should be able to help you out.

Good luck!

F4U-1A

Deer Horse Flies out now
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my Chevy windows tinted ( to our Ontario Province regs ) in 1996. Now at night, I have a hard time seeing through them backing up. Great in the summer when we have daylight. All Good.

ObsMills

Reaction score
Had my Chevy windows tinted ( to our Ontario Province regs ) in 1996. Now at night, I have a hard time seeing through them backing up. Great in the summer when we have daylight. All Good.
not too worried about visibility, its not the daily, and i plan on doing reflective tint aswell, which would be 15% all around

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not too worried about visibility, its not the daily, and i plan on doing reflective tint aswell, which would be 15% all around
Just a heads up on the reflective tint. It will be reflective on the front doors but will only make the rear windows that are already smoked darker (since it all goes on the inside of the glass). It will not look uniform front to back.