How long did your 4L60E last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikwallace

Reaction score
Bought my '99 k1500 (classic body style) Z71, 350 vortec new. It has 241,000 miles on original engine & 4L60e tranny. Flushed transmission oil every 50,000 miles. At 235,00 the transmission started "whining". I changed the transmission oil and filter at 240,000 miles, but it didn't help the whining. I'm guessing it's the pump making the noise?? All gears still shift ok.

UPDATE - 10 Nov 2016 - The whining noise started to increase in both frequency pitch and loudness. After chasing the noise with a stethoscope, it turns out the tranny is fine after 241,000+ miles! It was the serpentine belt IDLER and the tensioner pulley bearings gone bad. Changed those and all is quite!! Put that $2000 tranny replacement budget back in the pocket.

jwinston

Reaction score
I have my fathers old 93 c1500
334k on the original trans.
It has never been rebuilt, and so far has yet to fail. I bet the truck as over 100k on it towing a drag car on a trailer.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first GMT 400 was a 93 WT 4.3L. I had about 265,000 miles on the clock when OD went out. My 97 Silverado 5.7L now has 228,000 miles on it and the trans is still going strong. When I flash tuned the 97, I set the trans also. This firmed up the shift points a lot. Maybe this will help the trans last longer IDK, but when it goes, I will have it remaned, unlike I did with my WT, I sold it to a coworker dirt cheep.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to receipts kept by the PO this truck's trans died at 160k. He used it to tow an RV that I believe is waaaay too heavy for a 1/2 ton. That might be what did it. I see he went through a lot of brakes and an axle rebuild as well.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 99 c1500 with 5.7. Lasted 230k miles before got a deal (more like steal) to replace tranny and motor. Didn't really need to be replaced just did it for ease of mind probably could've lasted much longer. That tranny did do a lot of work towing the boat and occasional car or motorcycles.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
207K on my 1999 Suburban. It's "possible" that this is the second transimission, but the original would have had to have been swapped before 135K, which is when the previous owner bought it. She never needed a trans swap, and it still shifts on-target. Seems to prefer the Max-Life trans fluid over the older Dex 6

UPDATE - 10 Nov 2016 - The whining noise started to increase in both frequency pitch and loudness. After chasing the noise with a stethoscope, it turns out the tranny is fine after 241,000+ miles! It was the serpentine belt IDLER and the tensioner pulley bearings gone bad. Changed those and all is quite!! Put that $2000 tranny replacement budget back in the pocket.

Yeah I swapped the PS fluid in my 99 Sub thinking it was whining over old steering fluid. Turned out to be the idler pulley. It sounded spot-on exactly like a whining power steering pump, even changing pitch and sound as I cycled the steering wheel right-left (which makes sense because engine RPM changed a tad as I was cycling the wheel).

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Thought it was original when rebuilt at 190k, turned out to be a Camaro case, no idea if it had been rebuilt before or just thrown in as a replacement. But almost 10k on rebuild as a flawless 4L65E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk