How do I positively and easily Identify my engine size and vehicle trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Just hoping there is an easy way.

Need to know the size for ordering parts etc. I believe it is a 350 but want to be sure. While I am at it, what is the exact model of my vehicle for when I am ordering parts. Seems to be a little bit more tricky than my other vehicles.

Vehicle is an 88 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd. When I look at Rockauto etc., I am blown away at the amount of choices like C1500, K1500, R1500, V1500. When I check for a Chevy of the same year I have the same issue.

Thanks!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I don't know what truck you have, but on a small block chevy there is a code on the driver's side block right behind the head, and if it's a vortec 350 it will say 5.7 there, the older block's just have a number code that you will have to look up to see what it is.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Look at your emission tag on the rad. In other words a 305 or 350 the main deffernts is bore size.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that was fast! Couldn't even amend my post by the time you came and gave me a hand. Thanks

Just hoping there is an easy way.

Need to know the size for ordering parts etc. I believe it is a 350 but want to be sure. While I am at it, what is the exact model of my vehicle for when I am ordering parts. Seems to be a little bit more tricky than my other vehicles.

Vehicle is an 88 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd. When I look at Rockauto etc., I am blown away at the amount of choices like C1500, K1500, R1500, V1500. When I check for a Chevy of the same year I have the same issue.

Thanks!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also unless your the original owner you can never tell what people have swapped around, so I would definitly look at the block code.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You could check the RPO codes. To make 100% sure what block you have incase it had been switched out, all small blocks are stamped in the block on a tab that sticks out past the head. It's right below the alternator. You'll probably have to wipe it off and use a good light to read it, sometimes you even need to take the alt off to see it.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thanks!

As Draggin said, check the block for the code to verify the engine.
If your truck is a 2 wheel drive half ton then it is a C1500, if you want to know your exact trim levels (W/T,SL,SLE,SLT etc) you can type in your VIN number over at www.compnine.com and it will decipher all of your RPO codes, and tell you what you truck was all originally equiped with.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK some new questions have popped up.

Trying to get some parts and it mentions 1/2 Ton Something or other and Heavy Duty Suspension or not. I tried the compnine link and it couldn't find my VIN.

I am guessing that I don't have a Heavy Duty suspension but not sure.

Thanks

Last edited:

tahiti454SS

Reaction score
if you are talking about heavy duty suspension then maybe it's related to idler arm ???? because from autozone or kragen, they ask this, but on my 454SS no problem ... both will fit...
I think you have a 1/2 ton C1500 for 2WD, with 5.0L, then it's a 305CU.....
try from autozone website, their site is great for parts...