How do I dissasemble a 88-94 stock radio head and cassette deck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to start cleaning the inside of my recently acquired 1994 stock radio. I've hit a roadblock though, I can't seem to separate the board of the head unit from the front face. From what I can tell, there are two different boards, but they seem to be connected by some metal lines that connect to plugs that seem to have no use, so I have no idea how to take the board out and get the face free. There are screws that can't seem to come out unless the two boards are separated, but I can't tear them apart, I'm really stuck here.

Pictures are appreciated, thanks; and If you want me to post pictures, I can.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You can just pull them apart - the metal pins are soldered to the display board and slide into the connectors on the driver board. Have you already removed the two screws on the driver board? There's one hiding in the midst of the wires coming into the unit, and one on a corner iirc.... I don't have mine in front of me right now or I'd shoot some pics real quick. It will take some pressure to pull the two boards apart, but I've done several and I don't think they're easy to break. You might bend a couple pins, but they'll straighten back out.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can just pull them apart - the metal pins are soldered to the display board and slide into the connectors on the driver board. Have you already removed the two screws on the driver board? There's one hiding in the midst of the wires coming into the unit, and one on a corner iirc.... I don't have mine in front of me right now or I'd shoot some pics real quick. It will take some pressure to pull the two boards apart, but I've done several and I don't think they're easy to break. You might bend a couple pins, but they'll straighten back out.
Yeah I have the two screws off, I just don't want to break it. Any idea what to do with the plastic clip at the bottom of the board or does it just break off?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Plastic clip...? I'm going to need a picture of that, it's not ringing a bell.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Ahh okay, that is mounted to the display board, you can push it out of the driver board toward the display board while pulling outward on the driver board.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hot damn that was scary, the two boards came apart just fine, the pins are even intact! Not sure I'd wanna do that again, but fun fact: the exact date for the radio is May 18, 1994. Had to have been one of the last radios made before the new interior.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You're gonna make me pull mine apart again, I swear I wanna say it has July something of 94 lol

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're gonna make me pull mine apart again, I swear I wanna say it has July something of 94 lol
Haha, it should say it on the back of the metal, there was a sticker there and another on the board itself. July definitely had to have been one of the last, I remember a buddy's 95 Burb being made in Nov 94, so some time around there GM made the newer style.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, I know that you have a lot of 88-94 radios, but how should I clean my cassette deck? I made a thread a few days ago that you and a few others replied to asking about tapes sometimes playing audio on one side, and I believe that you said that it just needed to be cleaned, but what should I use and how far apart should I take it to clean it out? I have an air compressor and a brand new bottle of 91% isopropyl.