How different is the 1994/5 TBI 454 from the older models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam454

Reaction score
I know that the fuel pressure is 26-32 PSI which is much higher than the pre 1994's ~14 PSI. are there any other major differences? I am looking at turbocharging it for better power and fuel economy in the mountains around my area, so I need to know how it will react to around 7psi of boost. all of the turbo TBI motors that I have seen are pre-1994.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at turbocharging it for better power and fuel economy in the mountains around my area, so I need to know how it will react to around 7psi of boost. all of the turbo TBI motors that I have seen are pre-1994.
I would think, with the smaller 94 - 95 injectors at that pressure, it would run even better since you'll have a higher differential between boost and TB pressures but, I may be wrong.

Sam454

Reaction score
I would think, with the smaller 94 - 95 injectors at that pressure, it would run even better since you'll have a higher differential between boost and TB pressures but, I may be wrong.
do you think the motor would handle the boost well? it already out tows the 6.5 so all im going for with the turbo is fuel economy

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are you getting fuel economy? The intent is stuffing more air and fuel for an equal gain in horsepower.
It's a balanced equation. If you add more air you must add more fuel. Not enough fuel what happens= lean out, burn down. Are you wanting gross horsepower increase? Or do you want a flat rated power? Having 300 horsepower at sea level then climbing hills , gaining altitude turbo compensates to have 300 HP even at or over 6,000 ft.?
Have read any of the turbocharging books.
You must be registered for see images attach