Hood Paint Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Small sections at a time and work from grille to windshield. No circles. Straight lines straight up the hood.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Use a long block for sanding, it equalizes pressure and remember to make diagonal passes, otherwise you will get grooves that will be harder than hell to get out.

Try to keep the same pressure when sanding, it just needs to be dull looking when done, no shiny spots, and no random spots with primer showing, if any, your shiny spots will be dents in the hood you cant see from a distance.

After that ****, go ahead and buff it with a buffer, use a buffing compound like meguiars, don't hold it in 1 spot for more than a blink of an eye, or it will swirl the paint enough to piss you off (well it pissed me off, but it doesnt take much). Buff it till you think you are done, then buff it again.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
ok so a sanding block with 2000 grit paper up and down and left to right until its dull looking? then buff with polish and a wool pad?

Id use a buffer, you can get a halfway almost decent one at wal mart for like 20 bucks, but the damn foam spins in an oval so it throws the pad off eventually.

Hand buffing will take you forever, and you might lose an arm in the process :lol:

Reaction score
alright so tell me if this sounds about right...

imma head to the hardware store and pick up some 2000grit sand paper

Once i get home gonna start sanding the hood starting from the front and working my way to the back until the hood is showing a dull-ish look.

once the dull look is preset, gonna get my buffer and start buffing the hood using polish and a wool buffing pad. once done with that a coat of wax and then the hood should look shinny?

Does this sound about right or any other tips?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
If you want to just remove the hood it would be better, I cant tell you how, Ive never done it.

Get soapy water, get some wet or dry sand paper 2000 grit

block the whole hood with the sand paper, just use a little force to at least scuff the paint, do it in an even manner, dont keep hitting the same spot under paint comes off..

Once its done, then you want to clean with soapy water, use a grease fighter soap, like dawn or palmolive dish soap, you dont want to buff if you have sweat drops from your face on the hood, so make sure the whole hood is clean as hell before you buff.

Begin buffing, use whatever motion works, but make sure you dont buff to hard or it will heat the paint up and cause it to swirl like I stated earlier.

Once you get it buffed out, then just wax it hardcore.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Dont remove the hood, no need. If you do, it's 4 bolts and a pain in the ass to line back up when your done.

Reaction score
i was only able to find 1500 grit sand paper. did one side just motions from front to back, other side front to back and right to left motions with the paper. it made the paint dull looking and you can see the marks from the paper. i used some turtle was polish compound and a wool bonnet on the side i did front/back and side2side motions. after polish the paint still didnt seem to shinny...wondering if theres still oxidation on the hood? looks like it. thinking about picking up some heavy duty rubbing compound and go over the hood once with that then see if i can find some 2000 grit paper tomorrow and then go over the hood with that then start polishing again?

called it quits for the night, washed out the wool bonnet and thought i would post a little of what went on.

ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well your first mistake was using 1500 grit, did you only go to 1 store??

went to a few stores, the one i wanted home depot was closed so had to go to ace and harbor freights, gonna check out home depot today for 2000 grit.

i mean its not a super big deal if i screw up the paint on this hood, the whole truck is in a big need for repainting. had this truck since 56k miles were on it, almost up to 184000 miles now. there is pin spripping on it where its faded away in spots, the yukon badge came off last night so get to mess with that crap and removing the left over, dents, crap like that. if i can get the hood some-what looking better then ill be happy. just cleaned my garage so i can actually fit my truck in there cuz working in the las vegas sun, not fun. last time i was in because the U-joint needed to be replaced (201$...better than the 600$ i was quoted first) they said the front suspension needs new bushings because when you have the truck jacked up, there is movement side2side in the front wheels. they said good 8hour job because they need to lift the engine out to get to some of the bushings. but hell, imma go to home depot and see about 2000 grit paper, and also some oxidation remover i saw last night. but if i can get the hood shinning again till i can get it repainted, then ill be fine, doesnt need to be anything AMAZING.