Home built headache rack and switch setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Here's pictures of my last project. I know the headache/back rack doesn't protect the window like the ones you can buy do. I built it strictly for my lights.

You must be registered for see images attach

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Wow, that's a clean looking rack! Nice job! Does each light have it own switch?

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the switches/placement. Looks pretty clean. I always like stuff like that to look like it came that way. I did a little project on my car to install homelink and make a button that looks like it belongs.

Normally there is no button in the 2nd spot from the left. I took an additional button pod and took a button and soldered, wired it to a homelink unit. I took an extra "reset" button and cleaned it down to where it was clear and then used some transperant white paint/black paint/vinyl to make the button so it would glow at night. Not perfect, but pretty good. I'm going to make up another button to see if I can get it even closer.

Reaction score
Wow, that's a clean looking rack! Nice job! Does each light have it own switch?

Thanks guys. I thought it turned out pretty good. I looked at buying one for approx. $250 and another $150 for the vehicle specific mount, I have $40 in steel, $15 in paint, $10 in bolts. I don't even count my time to build it cause it's what I like doing.

I set the switches up-1) Roof mounted LED light 2) Work lights 3) Strobe lights 4) Intermittent switch to change the flash pattern of the strobe lights.

Reaction score
I like the switches/placement. Looks pretty clean. I always like stuff like that to look like it came that way. I did a little project on my car to install homelink and make a button that looks like it belongs.

Normally there is no button in the 2nd spot from the left. I took an additional button pod and took a button and soldered, wired it to a homelink unit. I took an extra "reset" button and cleaned it down to where it was clear and then used some transperant white paint/black paint/vinyl to make the button so it would glow at night. Not perfect, but pretty good. I'm going to make up another button to see if I can get it even closer.

I looked all over for a piece of plastic for the switch panel. Everything I found was to thick and all of it was shiny black or clear. I was cleaning out a cabinet at work and there was a lamp post lid getting tossed out, yup that's the plastic that you see and I kept the other pieces for later projects. I like your install, that's what keeps our trucks different from the rest.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked all over for a piece of plastic for the switch panel. Everything I found was to thick and all of it was shiny black or clear. I was cleaning out a cabinet at work and there was a lamp post lid getting tossed out, yup that's the plastic that you see and I kept the other pieces for later projects. I like your install, that's what keeps our trucks different from the rest.

That's actually on my Regal. just got my truck a month ago. I've got something cool up my sleeve for homelink in my truck. I'll post pics when I'm done. I think I'm going to start collecting a few buttons like the cargo button and some of the other stock buttons. When I add stuff that's electrical I'll figure out ways to put them in a place where they look like they came that way.

Reaction score
That's actually on my Regal. just got my truck a month ago. I've got something cool up my sleeve for homelink in my truck. I'll post pics when I'm done. I think I'm going to start collecting a few buttons like the cargo button and some of the other stock buttons. When I add stuff that's electrical I'll figure out ways to put them in a place where they look like they came that way.

Sounds like you have a plan in the works. I have a few switches I had listed in the for sale section. I'd have to look and see what I have left if your interested.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work paint the bolts and brackets that are on the lights. I would love just a small tube around my licease front plate so I could use it if I have to push someone my front plate always take a beating when trying to help one when there broke down in the middle of traffic.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Very nice rack............and I don't normally say that to a guy.

How did you attatch it to your truck.