high mount air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I have been thinking about making some sort of high mounted intake. I dont want or need a full on snorkel, but the higher the source of air, the less I have to worry when hitting a big sloppy mud hole.

I was thinking about some sort of hood with gasket to keep the engine bay air out of the intake.

Thoughts?

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be much more worried about other things getting wet. Your fan shroud, you could do electric fans? Run air lines to the fire wall for your axles, transfer case, so on. I have a K&N CAI on my vortec 350 and its a big open filter surrounded by metal on the sides with a gasket. I've gone through so much **** with that mounted in my blazer and now this new truck and its never gotten anything on it or in it. And I'm alot closer to the ground then you. I wouldn't be to terribly concerned with a enclosed airbox, I'm assuming your's is stock?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
which 454?

yes mine is stock with a K&N drop in. I stuck with it for now because I have seen what open elements get when off roading. My ford was set up almost exactly like yours. As for other things to water proof the truck, I am planning on running all my vets to the top of the firewall. I have siliconed my dist cap, and greased every single wire connector already. I thin e-fans would be harmful to my situation and I know my 350 makes more torque than those little electric motors do. So if I get ice or mud build up, my motor will turn the fan more easily than the e-fans.