HID Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason

Reaction score
hopefully im not blind and didnt miss someone who might have already asked this:

but, i did some reading and saw that i might need a relay harness so the HID's are getting power from the battery..

from DDM i ordered this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

i also ordered the elegante headlights.. according to FedEx tracking, all my packages should be arriving today!
my dad is disabled and he's not doin so well right now, so im doing all this research on my own, but im curious did i order the right thing, or do i need to order a relay harness too.. i love my silverado and knock on wood, nothing bad has happened so far, i just dont wanna screw up anything.

if i didnt order the right thing, or if i need to order a relay harness, could i get one from a pepboys or something?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hopefully im not blind and didnt miss someone who might have already asked this:

but, i did some reading and saw that i might need a relay harness so the HID's are getting power from the battery..

from DDM i ordered this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

i also ordered the elegante headlights.. according to FedEx tracking, all my packages should be arriving today!
my dad is disabled and he's not doin so well right now, so im doing all this research on my own, but im curious did i order the right thing, or do i need to order a relay harness too.. i love my silverado and knock on wood, nothing bad has happened so far, i just dont wanna screw up anything.

if i didnt order the right thing, or if i need to order a relay harness, could i get one from a pepboys or something?

From my HID sticky linked in my sig...

1badgmc said:
What is a relay harness?
A relay harness (called a dual in/dual out harness on the DDM Tuning site) pulls the power for the HIDs directly from the battery instead of from the vehicle’s wiring harness. Even though HIDs require less power to run than halogens, they do require a considerable amount of power when they are first ignited. A vehicle’s wiring is often not up to the task of handling the power requirements of that initial ignition, which can lead to misfires.

A common symptom is that only one HID will come on. The wiring has enough to handle the ignition of one light, but not both. Usually, the other HID can be ignited by turning the headlights off and then back on again quickly.

Another common symptom is the flickering of the headlights when they’re on. The power flow is not constant enough to keep them steady.

The relay harness will also automatically correct the polarity so you don’t have to worry about which way your ballasts are plugged in.

Do I need a relay harness?
It never hurts to have one. It’s cheap piece of mind. For all GMT-400 OBS trucks and older, I recommend one without question. I have installed HIDs in a ’94 and a ’91 without a harness and didn’t have any issues. I’ve installed HIDs in a ’97 and a ’98 and did have misfires in both. A relay harness on both trucks solved those problems. Even though some trucks may not seem to need one, it would still be best to install one to relieve the strain from the factory wiring and headlight switch.

Jason

Reaction score
well i suppose i did something right because i managed to get them to work!

only problem was i dont know how or where to mount those ballasts that came in the raptor kit.. if anyone has that kit, is the white things they came with supposed to be double stick tape or what!? cuz it didnt stick at all.. i gotta rig up something, in the mean time its just zip tied to engine compartment, i dont like it, i want it mounted in a neat orderly way (ocd)

You must be registered for see images

p.s. the elegante headlights are amazing. wow.. and the clear parking lenses i got are incredible too, well worth the buy. just had trouble getting the elegante headlights to bolt into the spots

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, that double-sided tape is supposed to be to mount the ballasts. That tape is a friggin' joke! The first 2 sets of HIDs I bought came from HIDgate on eBay and they came with some nice, metal brackets to put the ballasts in that you could bolt to the fender, or in my case, just zip tie them to the fender. I bought a set from VVME and they had the brackets too. When I bought from DDM and saw that tape, I just laughed. When I ordered a relay harness, I went through VVME (they were cheaper at the time) and had the include a pair of brackets with the order (which they did for free).

I like this idea I saw on another site...

You must be registered for see images attach

He has a strip of neoprene between the ballast and the metal strap.

Jason

Reaction score
^^genious, GREAT idea. ill have to take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow before work and get me something like that.
im just really surprised in myself that i did it all before the sunset, by myself, im not to good with electrical stuff,
im not gonna lie though, wow those lights are super bright, my neighborhood went from night to day in seconds.

i think i got the 6000k, ill stick with these, but man, it blew me away with how amazing these look and how i can actually SEE the road now