Help on '88 steering column and heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BARBER

Reaction score
We got an '88 1500 at home as a ranch pickup and the steering column is all broken apart on it. Its barely hanging on and whenever you turn with it, it will cut off the ignition at times. Its a manual as well. Anyways, is there any kits out there to rebuild these columns? Or should we start looking for a used one or a rebuilt one?

Found this one on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Another thing, the heating/cooling system on this pickup has been ****** has several years. It had the blower motor replaced a year or so ago, but it doesn't put out the air like it should. The fan is blowing on high, but is blowing air out of the vents like its on low. Is there a door on the system that isn't opening/closing all the way? Right now, the fan only works on high. A new switch would be a smart thing we know.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fan working on high only is most likely blower motor resistor. The low velocity is most likely due to a clogged heater core, which in turn causes a heavy load on the resistor and the switch . There are method detailed on here for cleaning it out . Resistor is under 20 bucks at auto parts place and relatively easy to change, especially on the older trucks. Just do a search on here or You Tube for both items to find out how to do it.
I'm pretty sure that he got that fixed since 2010 when this thread was created :)

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that he got that fixed since 2010 when this thread was created :)
Most likely. Dunno how I tripped over that one ... I had been looking at new posts and that one must have appeared in a similar thread. I usually look at the dates !

If he first posted in 2010 and still a newbie then I expect he is LONG gone! I am also surprised that the poor guy didn't get an answer with all these experts around.