Help needed ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was working on wiring in my KC lights today and after getting it all done and go and back and connect the battery, I ran into a lot of electrical issues.

1. My taillights are always on when the battery is connected.
2. When trying to use the right blinker with the turn signal lever, it doesn't work and but instead acts as if the turn signal lever is in the middle position and the lights are out.
3. When the turn signal switch is in the middle position, my right blinker acts as if that is on. The front light blinks, but the taillight doesn't.
4. When the turn signal switch is down like using your left blinker, the lights act as if the 4 ways are on. Still the taillights don't flash.
5. If you pull up on the 4 way switch on the column the horn honks.

I went back through and checked all the fuses and tried a new turn signal flasher and it did the same thing.

Any ideas? Because I need to drive this thing tomorrow.

Thanks

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, I discounted the KC lights and they arent spliced into any OEM wires. I have a feeling it is something to do with the turn signal lever. when i move the 4 way switch around it messes with how the turn signals work. I suppose I will find out when i get a new lever

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hey, my 95's 4-way switch had been doing something similar. I found out that in 1999 GM announced a recall on the 96-98 model 4-way switch due to malfunctions in the actual switch assembly itself, not the socket in the column. Altho it didn't include my year, I went ahead and tried a new switch assembly and now when I jiggle the switch it doesn't cause my lights to go haywire. When the 4-ways were on I could jiggle it and it would cause the tail flashers to stop altogether but the fronts and flasher relay would continue. When they were off, I could jiggle it and the tails would flash and the flasher relay would come on, but the fronts wouldn't flash. Maybe you should look there first before replacing your turn signal lever.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea it was a problem in the lever. I got it on Thursday and put it in right away and everything worked just fine. I will have to visit a GM dealership and see if they will get me a new one so I have another one on hand.