help me pick the correct size tires. 2 door HOE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up a stock 1998 Tahoe and want to add a new set of sneakers to her. Its all black with factory fender flares. I really do not want to lift it at this time but I am not opposed to cranking a little bit to get a new set of tires to fit. So, with that being said, I want to know which size tires would work for me as well as offset options on the wheels. Below is a list of the available options for the wheels I want.

Fuel Hostage wheels
17x8.5 +14mm or +25mm offset

17x9 -12mm or +1mm offset

18x9 -12mm, +1mm, +6mm, +14mm, +20mm, or +25mm offset.

About the most aggressive tire I want to go with is possibly the Nitto Grapplers. I travel on the highway a lot and I dont want loud road noise. The truck is a 4x4. I think I can get away with moving the wheels outward at least an inch and still be under the flares which I think will help reduce some rubbing I may encounter when turning but I hope one of you guys can assist me further with this.

http://www.westkycustoms.com/product/FUELHOSTAGECHROME/FUEL-OFFROAD-HOSTAGE-CHROME-WHEEL.html

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinking that the 18x9 with a -12MM offset will work if I choose a 285/65/18 tire. Does that sound right?

Currently I have 16" stockers with 265/75/16 tires. They measure 31.7" high. With an 18x9 wheel with -12MM offset, the overall height with 275/65/18s will now be 32.1"

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Yes. If they're stock flares the front's will be damn near flush with the flares, according to the wheels you just posted. And, IMO if you travel on the highway quite a bit I would steer away from the Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're pretty aggressive and you won't get d!ck for wear out of them.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just wish there was a way to move the rear wheels out further since it seems like GM intentional made the rear axle narrow so the rear tires dont track in the same line as the fronts. I think it looks stupid. The wheels I want have a max of -12mm offset which on a 9" wheel will not move them outward at all.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Believe me, they'll move them out. The stock wheel offset is +31. With those wheels they'll stick out almost 2 1/2" from where they're at right now on stockers. The wheels in my sig are 17x9 Dick Cepek's w/ -12mm offset. I ran 33x12.5 Mickey's on there and the front's were outside of the flares.

For reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have anymore pics of how your wheels look on your truck? I dont mind them sticking out further then stock but I dont want them out past the flare to a point that they look stupid.

I can get the same 18x9 wheel with a positive offset if it will help keep the tire/wheel flush with the flares. They offer it in -12,1,6,14,20 and 25mm.
I would really like to move the rears outward more then the front. They dont track in the same path as the fronts.

How does +1mm offset for the fronts on a 9" wide wheel and -12mm offfset for the rear on a 9" wide wheel? I only have one shot at getting this right

Last edited:

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the rears are already offset from the front. the rear end is narrower then the front.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the rears are already offset from the front. the rear end is narrower then the front.

yes but are the rears offset just because the rear end is narrower overall compared to the front or do the rear GM wheels have a different offset?

If I order new wheels I would want the rears to track in the same width pattern as the fronts. With that being said, wouldnt I have to have the two rear wheels specd out with more negative offset then the fronts?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Get the same offset rim front and rear. You want to be able to rotate your tires or the front will wear out way before the rears will. I think the -12 offset will look the best but I like them to stick out just a little. And your truck at stock height the front wheels probably stick out a little farther than the rear, but if you crank the torsion bars up a little it will suck the front tires in a little bit.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the same offset rim front and rear. You want to be able to rotate your tires or the front will wear out way before the rears will. I think the -12 offset will look the best but I like them to stick out just a little. And your truck at stock height the front wheels probably stick out a little farther than the rear, but if you crank the torsion bars up a little it will suck the front tires in a little bit.

Thanks for the input. Im hoping I can fit 18x9s with a 275/65/18 tire in the front w/o any rubbing. I am prepared to level it with a minor crank if need be.

Right now with the stock wheels and my 265/75/16 tires, they come out to be 31.7" high. the new combo I want is 18x9 with 275/65/18 and that comes out to be 32.1" high. I should be good

Last edited: