HELP! CV NEED CUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethturbo

Reaction score
Hi, i need to remove my cv axel cause i need to drop my front diff, can someone inform me on how to cut my cv where i can still have the part that goes into the hub so that i can still drive it around, please help!

1993 K2500 5.7 ext cab long bed

sethturbo

Reaction score
great, so the process is just unbolting from the diff, removing that c clip and it will slide out from the part that’s attached to the wheel?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, this isnt a GMT400 but close enough for a visual. Its easier to disassemble on the bench but can be done on the truck if needed. I would highly recommend on the bench.

This is just a google image, ignore the comment

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this correctly, he's gonna need the OUTER CV joint housing--with the splined stub and threaded end--to hold the wheel bearing assembly together, while losing all the rest of the CV axle.

CV axle comes completely out, lose the outer boot by cutting the big clamp and peel the boot back without screwing it up. Hammer off the outer CV joint, then reinstall the outer joint through the bearing assy. Torque the nut. Leave all the rest of the CV shaft on the bench. Do this right, and all you'd need to put it right is a new big clamp, and fresh CV grease.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
The fun part is seperating the axle shaft from the housing where the ball bearings are.I've had to hit a brass drift as hard as I could to seperate them,that little metal ring really holds the axle shaft in.I have two CV axles sitting on my bench waiting for a rebuild.Yeah,I know they're so cheap it's easier to buy one already done but what fun is that? :)

sethturbo

Reaction score
Hi, so i’ve gotten my flange part unbolted and i am stumped as what to do next, i don’t understand where the part is i’m supposed to take off to have it where i can run the axel stub that goes through the hub, pls help

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the whole friggin' CV shaft OFF THE TRUCK. Wheel end. Differential end. Everything in between. The entire CV axle, put it in a friggin' vice clamped REALLY TIGHT around the central shaft.

CUT the bigass clamp holding the boot to the outer joint. Push the boot away from the outer joint.

Swing a hammer on the outer joint, to separate it from the shaft. Remove the cage and the ball bearings. Save them in a lovely little plastic jar or something.

Put the bare outer joint back into the bearing/hub assembly, put the nut and washer back on, torque the nut. The wheel bearings are now secured just as if the entire CV shaft were in place.

Put all the rest of the CV shaft on the bench until you need it. WHEN you need it, you'll need to buy another bigass clamp, and a tub of CV grease.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i’ve gotten my flange part unbolted and i am stumped as what to do next
The outer hub of the CV just splines into the wheel hub. Just push it on out. If you have to use a hammer, use a brass punch so you don't dork up the splines.

The big c-clips are inside the CV, under the boot. Once you pop those out you just use brute force to knock the CV cups off the shaft. Put the CV in a vise. Tilt the cup all the way down. Hit the exposed flat edge with a mini-sledge. Take care to hit it with flat strokes against that flat edge.