Hello from metro Detroit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope things are going swell. I'm Derek and am excited to be on this forum. Hopefully you guys can assist with a few lingering issues we have with our truck and hopefully I can one day help others too. Now for the backstory...

I've been meaning to join this site for some time as it has helped me and my GF a lot with her truck. Last year she bought a 1988 GMC C3500 SLE regular cab long box. It's got the SM465 trans and 454 TBI engine. 70k miles but it lived it's life outside. No rust other than one pebble sized spot on the passenger cab corner. Just had to have it, haven't seen another GMT400 one-ton truck that wasn't a automatic, 4x4 crew/extended cab, dualie or some combination of those, not to mention with all the options this one has. It pretty much looks like a typical long box 1500 but it all ends there.

When we bought it, it didn't want to idle, animals chewed most of the wires for the running lights and some were repaired by the PO to get it running again. Guy was a (gasp) mechanic and I went against my better judgement buying it from him.. Gas pedal was stiff, speedo didn't work, neither did the cruise, A/C, horns, wipers and the brake light didn't illuminate when the key was flipped to run position, plus someone had swapped a Dodge bumper on the back- I didn't realize that until later.

It overheated and belched black coolant everywhere on the ride home from grand rapids. Made the GF really happy LoL. I told her our new vehicle is bonding with us and what a way to start.

We've since rebuilt the throttle body, resprayed the top half, flushed all the fluids, put a new A/C Delco distributor on it, wires & plugs as specified by the service manual. I did the moonies to needles swap and got the speedo to work again, replaced the throttle cable, repaired all the wires, put a correct bumper on it, replaced the headliner, swapped on the chrome swing mirrors in place of the tripost trailering ones, replaced all the lights, put a new radiator on it, new thermostat, new upper & lower radiator hose, new horns (well JY ones that worked), replaced the axle seals, wiper motor, washer bottle & pump, repaired lots of other wiring blah blah.

Fix list:
-Cured the "not want to idle when started" thing by adjusting the base idle (guy had already punched out the cap)
-Brake light didn't come on because the guy cut the wire.. So fixed the wire, found out why he cut it because it stayed on. Replaced rear ABS module and it went away.
-Fixed the speedo by replacing a bad fuse terminal, gages fuse IIRC was corroded and not sending power to the speedo.
-Theres more, just figure you guys don't want to read all that BS...

One problem that still persists is that the thing still idles high in my opinion. Tach says 1000 but scanner says 800. If you unplug the IAC it goes down to where I set the base idle, 450 or so. Plug it back in and it will eventually creep up to 800. I'd like it to idle at 650 but what should these F'n things idle at??? No where can I find the actual spec on the idle speed, nothing at all. If anything it's a matter of opinion...

Another problem is that the truck will "hold" a high rpm when trying to change gears. I'll take 1st to 15 or so, truck reads say 2100rpm, push clutch in go to 2nd and I'll have to hold the clutch down for 20 seconds before the POS will abruptly go back down enough for me to take my foot off the clutch. Does this on all gear changes, sometimes worse than others and very very very rarely it won't do it at all. I've swapped the fuel pressure regulator, injectors (from a JY TB, it actually ran better!) IAC valve with a new one from A/C Delco. Also, unlike my '89 TBI Fireturd it doesn't go to a high RPM when started cold, sometimes it goes to ~1,200 but the Fireturd goes to ~1,600 and then slowly goes down to ~650 as it warms up. Not sure what the trucks are supposed to do.

Another problems is it surges when accelerating. I'll be holding my foot steady on the go pedal and it will feel like someone is bumping into me slightly. It does this most right around when it is getting ready to go into closed loop. (PO replaced temp sender & I verified that it works like it should). Once in closed loop it doesn't do that so much but it also feels like it's got no power either. When cold it's got gobs but hot it's a bit of a turd. I know people say to run 8 degrees base timing but our truck hated it, I compromised at 6..

What do you guys think?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
metro detroit aye! stiff pedal, high rpms between gears sounds like a worn spring. never mess with the idle screw unfortunately you already did. your idle should be 200rpm or so lower. so you either have a vacuum leak or need to reset your iac

fire turd? part of mifbody??

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Clinton Township, that's right over by me!

I cured the stiff throttle part by putting in a JY cable & lubed that with silicone spray stuff for good measure. I also lubed the throttle return springs with chain lube and cycled them by hand & pedal, they're bind free.

Previous owner screwed with that idle screw.. He adjusted it so low that when you fired it up it would hunt for idle when cold, idle would shoot up & down and sometimes stall. It idled low when I did the ALDL thing to close the IAC for the adjustment, I set it with my MT2500 scanner to ~500 and it idled there fine until I reconnected my IAC. Then I watched the idle creep up to 800 and stay there +/- 30rpm here and there. When I go into diagnostic mode with the scanner it goes to 1000rpm. It seems like 800 is what the computer wants it to do but it seems so much happier down low to me. How do you reset the IAC? I read it somewhere but forgot where to find that info, it's the only thing I haven't done. Thinking about trying to safely plug the inlet for the IAC so I can also see if that cures the high idle between gear changes too.

Yep, 1989 Formula Fireturd. Not part of mifbody but am part of Thirdgen.org Same handle. And no, I do not think I am great by any stretch haha. Just a name that dates back to character from Diablo I. Tried coming up with a name for Thirdgen, it was taken and DTG wasn't...

Nice signature quote by the way, Ace Ventura is hilarious. I'll have to see if I can upload pics on here, it doesn't seem to like taking them directly from a computer...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm copying this from GMSquare body,

IAC reset/min idle speed- This sets the throttle plate on the throttle bodyto a specific rpm. I recommend about 500 rpm for most engines. Procedures- Go to sheet 7of the pinout diagrams. At the top is the ALDL connector. You need to put a jumper between pins A and B of the connector. These are pins A9(wht/blk) and A12 (blk/wht) on the ECM. This puts the ECM into aldl mode. Turn the key on (not start) and the IAC should drive completely closed. You will normally hear a buzzing from the IAC. If you have the winaldl up and running on your laptop, you should see the IAC went from 145 to 0. Now unplug the IAC connector. turn the key off. Remove jumper. Start motor. If the idle is too low you may have to keep it running. On the front drivers sideof the throttle bodyis the adjustment screw. It may be behind a silver plug. If so just use a nail or punch to poke it and remove it. Then use a #20 torxbit to adjust the idle speed to at least 100 rpm less then your warm idle speed. if 600 then set to 500 rpm. You are looking for the lowest consistant idle your motor will do. When set, turn off motor and reconnect the IAC. I try to keep the IAC count to at least 40 with the motor warm and idling.
This is a good time to verify the operation of the IAC. When the jumper is in and the key is on the IAC is driven closed. So while it is idling to set min rpm put a finger over the IAC port just above the IAC. There should be no air being sucked in and you should be able to see the pintle on the IAC.
When the IAC is connected and operating there should be a small amount of air being sucked in the port at idle and should increase as you apply some throttle.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

Jrgunn5150,
Thank you for digging for that info, although that's the procedure I used to set the base idle speed.. There was some other procedure about resetting the IAC, I want to try that but am not putting much faith in that either... My TBI bird is flawless compared to this truck. I really hate the RPM hang-ups when going from one gear to the next. It hangs for about 15 seconds, then boom, it drops suddenly to 800 or it drops to 1500rpm then hangs for a little more and then back to 800. Other times it drops down to base idle speed and comes up to that 800 right away or drops to base and slowly creeps back up like it did when I did the ALDL reset. Why I want to plug the inlet, can't disconnect it or the computer will get mad.

Sewlow,
Thank you! Finally glad I signed up after all this time trolling. 800 eh? Well that's good to know then, the GM service manual I has states nothing about that idle reset or what these should idle at. It simply states things like this about the idle, "Computer controlled." 800RPM is indeed what the thing idles at. I checked the counts on the IAC, it was 20-40 or so, can't remember, certainly wasn't 0...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

Jrgunn5150,
Thank you for digging for that info, although that's the procedure I used to set the base idle speed.. There was some other procedure about resetting the IAC, I want to try that but am not putting much faith in that either... My TBI bird is flawless compared to this truck. I really hate the RPM hang-ups when going from one gear to the next. It hangs for about 15 seconds, then boom, it drops suddenly to 800 or it drops to 1500rpm then hangs for a little more and then back to 800. Other times it drops down to base idle speed and comes up to that 800 right away or drops to base and slowly creeps back up like it did when I did the ALDL reset. Why I want to plug the inlet, can't disconnect it or the computer will get mad.

Sewlow,
Thank you! Finally glad I signed up after all this time trolling. 800 eh? Well that's good to know then, the GM service manual I has states nothing about that idle reset or what these should idle at. It simply states things like this about the idle, "Computer controlled." 800RPM is indeed what the thing idles at. I checked the counts on the IAC, it was 20-40 or so, can't remember, certainly wasn't 0...

My old Mustang GT had a "hanging RPM" condition in between shifts. It wasn't bad, but it was noticeable, if I remember correctly, people were curing it by blocking some of the IAC passage with gasket? Not all, just making the opening smaller. I'll have to see if I can find that.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure if I had an automatic it wouldn't be an issue but if the truck was an auto we wouldn't have bought it!

I'm thinking a rubber grommet of sorts or just a plug altogether. It's pretty bad. I don't like the extra wear & tear on the clutch so much. Also, with 4.10's & no overdrive it has a top speed of 60mph... SM465 shifts like a turd, super slow and is just geared far too wide. It certainly has earned it's reputation as a heavy duty trans in my book. Looking to do the NV4500 swap, I've heard it's a direct swap as long as I go with one that's got the external slave cylinder. I've read the shifter hole, trans mount, driveshaft, clutch and all that can be reused. They shift much easier too. I test drove a 1999 C2500 with a 454 & NV4500 and it shifted nice like a hot knife through butter despite the chitty truck having almost 300k on the clock. Was going to buy that as a parts truck but the trans was making some other noises so I decided against it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Clinton Township, that's right over by me!

I cured the stiff throttle part by putting in a JY cable & lubed that with silicone spray stuff for good measure. I also lubed the throttle return springs with chain lube and cycled them by hand & pedal, they're bind free.

Previous owner screwed with that idle screw.. He adjusted it so low that when you fired it up it would hunt for idle when cold, idle would shoot up & down and sometimes stall. It idled low when I did the ALDL thing to close the IAC for the adjustment, I set it with my MT2500 scanner to ~500 and it idled there fine until I reconnected my IAC. Then I watched the idle creep up to 800 and stay there +/- 30rpm here and there. When I go into diagnostic mode with the scanner it goes to 1000rpm. It seems like 800 is what the computer wants it to do but it seems so much happier down low to me. How do you reset the IAC? I read it somewhere but forgot where to find that info, it's the only thing I haven't done. Thinking about trying to safely plug the inlet for the IAC so I can also see if that cures the high idle between gear changes too.

Yep, 1989 Formula Fireturd. Not part of mifbody but am part of Thirdgen.org Same handle. And no, I do not think I am great by any stretch haha. Just a name that dates back to character from Diablo I. Tried coming up with a name for Thirdgen, it was taken and DTG wasn't...

Nice signature quote by the way, Ace Ventura is hilarious. I'll have to see if I can upload pics on here, it doesn't seem to like taking them directly from a computer...

should meet up sometime, or if you need parts come by advance auto at 21 and gratiot. otherwise glad the throttle is resolved, set IAC as stated above. id love to see pics of both vehicles sometime!