Heavy Duty Bumper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Looks like a good plan, can't wait to see it on your truck. Should end up about 100lbs. from what I see, perfect size IMO for a rear bumper.

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
I will have to see it when you get it done. I might have you build one for the Burban

Minimeh93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did a mock-up of the center part in cardboard
You must be registered for see images attach

the real thing will be better, damn dull utility knife!

Minimeh93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got started on the bumper today! i got most of the pieces for the above mock-up cut out. I have a short school week this week so there won't be much progress

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Post up some pics when you get a chance.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please tell me you bought HREW tubing at least, not "pipe". Steel pipe isn't designed for what you're doing. I was also going to say that 1/4" is a little heavy, but still gusset it properly or it doesn't matter how thick the steel is.

And remember that your mounts need to go down the frame a decent distance to distribute the load, 1/2" plate won't help when it's only attached to 4" of frame.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, these are just things I've seen way to much in shop classes and the kids promptly rip the bumper off or bend the **** out of it while they're "testing". My buddies test procedure was to go to the junkyard and purposely run into a junk car and if the bumper didn't move it was good. Then again he sells custom bumpers now so he needed them to be beefy.

Minimeh93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bumper will not be used to tow trailers, I am keeping the frame mounted hitch for that. I won't be purposely hitting anything to test it out.

as for progress, I have the center step part made and cut the pipe to length, but not welded on yet

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
makes me wish i woulda took a welding course in hs. now im tryin to teach myself as i get further into my truck