Heater core swishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
I have a 96 Chevy regular cab, 1500. About a year ago I replaced the coolant. Once and a while I can hear the coolant swishing in the heater core case under the passenger side dash. I remember topping off the radiator with the heater on full blast when I did the maintenance. Is this a normal sound or do I need more coolant? There are no leaks, no coolant on the oil, so the engine is fine. What do you think?:hmm:

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Just to eliminate the possibility: Remove the passenger side door sill plate (3 screws + seat belt removal) and see if there's water in the channel below the sill.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your coolant level...it is likely swishing because your coolant is low and when it gets hot enough it goes through the system. Or you have an air bubble.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Checked out under the sill, no water, little bit of rust but no water. The coolant level when its cold is full, I'll see when it gets hot. I'll add colant to the resorvoir tank when gets hot, if it need it. What to do if I have an air bubble?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Put your truck on ramps in the front, or on a hill. Remove the rad cap when the truck is cold. Start it up & let it run till the thermostat opens. As this happens, the bubbles in your system will rise to the highest point, which should be the rad cap. Top up rad as required.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Put your truck on ramps in the front, or on a hill. Remove the rad cap when the truck is cold. Start it up & let it run till the thermostat opens. As this happens, the bubbles in your system will rise to the highest point, which should be the rad cap. Top up rad as required.

x2, i've never done it withh the ramps though. probably a good idea.