Heater Core Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Howdy everyone. Greased up the front end parts on my truck yesterday, had to start it to turn the steering to get to a couple more fittings. Return under the truck to find a good sized splash of coolant on the floor.

Did a search and was amazed on how simple the heater core can be to change on these! Looked pretty straightforward. I've had a few of these trucks and this is the first time I've had to change one. Only thing I had a question on is what brand to get? The truck is a '95.

Last winter I replaced a heater core on a car (that was both time consuming and contorting). Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I decided to go the ACDelco way...Only to find that I paid triple for a marked-up, foreign-made component. I'm open to any advice on what brand you used, and pointers on changing it are appreciated, too!

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I used O'Reilly's Murry brand on my truck. It has a lifetime warranty. Took me an hour but most of that time I was talking to other people, actual work time was about 20 minutes. This was my second time changing a heater core on a GMT-400. First one was on a Suburban and the bottom plate of the HVAC box below the heater core came off easily. Mine would not drop down and come out so I had to pry on it to get the core switched.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had electrolysis and went through four in a year last one I changed in less than 10 minutes

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Thanks 77Impala, I'll report back here when I get it changed! And beardeddummy, how did you figure out it was electrolysis?

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, it seems like either the heater core is easy or the AC evaporator is easy. On some cars/trucks the service manual instructions for the heater core replacement is 'remove everything between the front seats and fire wall'. On our trucks the heater core is cake. I bet the evap is a fight.

mistaake

Reaction score
I've never used one myself but the Murray ones we sell at O'Reilly look and feel good quality and I've never seen a bad one. I've been disappointed with ACDelco parts recently. Made in Mexico and it doesn't feel like good quality. Now that I own a Ford as well I was surprised to see all the Motorcraft parts I've bought so far, are made in the USA. I know it's off topic but I sure with GM would do the same - then I'd feel better about spending the extra. Except for spark plugs I'm no longer buying ACDelco stuff for the most part.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I've never used one myself but the Murray ones we sell at O'Reilly look and feel good quality and I've never seen a bad one. I've been disappointed with ACDelco parts recently. Made in Mexico and it doesn't feel like good quality. Now that I own a Ford as well I was surprised to see all the Motorcraft parts I've bought so far, are made in the USA. I know it's off topic but I sure with GM would do the same - then I'd feel better about spending the extra. Except for spark plugs I'm no longer buying ACDelco stuff for the most part.

Good to know, helps to hear what is out there. I'd just like a replacement part to last as long or longer than the part it replaced. I learned the hard way after replacing the same parts a dozen times due to inferior product. "Lifetime warranty," poor quality fuel pumps, electronics, front end parts, u-joints, etc. Last thing I want to do is change a heater core mid-winter because I wanted to save a couple dollars and stick myself with a piece of junk.

All ranting aside, I haven't ordered a heater core yet (and uh...Winter is here, should probably get on that), but I did take the heater box apart to see how bad it was. Didn't see anything wet in there, maybe a dried dirt trail going out as if something dripped once. I probably shouldn't push my luck and wait for it to completely fail. I was afraid of breaking the bottom cover, so I pried it open just enough to where I could fully see the core. I quit driving the truck in the meantime, but I'll have a chance to take it for a spin this weekend. We'll see if I can smell coolant with the heat on, or see if it spills some after I get it up to temperature and park it, like last time.

-Update soon!

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks 77Impala, I'll report back here when I get it changed! And beardeddummy, how did you figure out it was electrolysis?

I had extra lights and I removed them and it stopped springing leaks could've been a bunch of bad heater cores but I doubt it

Last edited:

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
Good to know, helps to hear what is out there. I'd just like a replacement part to last as long or longer than the part it replaced. I learned the hard way after replacing the same parts a dozen times due to inferior product. "Lifetime warranty," poor quality fuel pumps, electronics, front end parts, u-joints, etc. Last thing I want to do is change a heater core mid-winter because I wanted to save a couple dollars and stick myself with a piece of junk.

All ranting aside, I haven't ordered a heater core yet (and uh...Winter is here, should probably get on that), but I did take the heater box apart to see how bad it was. Didn't see anything wet in there, maybe a dried dirt trail going out as if something dripped once. I probably shouldn't push my luck and wait for it to completely fail. I was afraid of breaking the bottom cover, so I pried it open just enough to where I could fully see the core. I quit driving the truck in the meantime, but I'll have a chance to take it for a spin this weekend. We'll see if I can smell coolant with the heat on, or see if it spills some after I get it up to temperature and park it, like last time.

-Update soon!

I had a slight drip on occasion from the firewall area and twice had a strong coolant smell in the cab after the engine was up to temp. I bought a new heater core from Autozone and was surprised at how easy it was to change. Mine ended up being a hairline crack on one of the tubes that would only leak under pressure, sometimes it went inside the cab and sometimes it leaked outside. Good luck.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I had a slight drip on occasion from the firewall area and twice had a strong coolant smell in the cab after the engine was up to temp. I bought a new heater core from Autozone and was surprised at how easy it was to change. Mine ended up being a hairline crack on one of the tubes that would only leak under pressure, sometimes it went inside the cab and sometimes it leaked outside. Good luck.

Adding extra battery to frame, engine, and body grounds usually solves that problem.