headlight help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having trouble with my headlights,

96 k1500

The tilt steering column is supposed to turn them off and on, with the 3 way knob up straight up and down.

When this knob is all the way horizontal the headlights are off. I am sure that alot of you are familiar with this.

My problem is my headlights and dashlights will only come on with the 3 way switch between off and on,

and they will not turn on bright. I had thought perhaps my bright bulbs are (both?) burned out. But my dim/bright switch

wont even flicker them when the 3 way switch is in the middle. I had noticed a while ago that sometimes when i start it and

turn my headlights on, and tilt my column down, i would have to move it a bit up and down several times to get the lights

to come on. ANY INFORMATION ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THIS WOULD BE SO VERY HELPFUL

I am not even sure where to begin, I think this is a column switch problem possibly??

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Having trouble with my headlights,

96 k1500

The tilt steering column is supposed to turn them off and on, with the 3 way knob up straight up and down.

When this knob is all the way horizontal the headlights are off. I am sure that alot of you are familiar with this.

My problem is my headlights and dashlights will only come on with the 3 way switch between off and on,

and they will not turn on bright. I had thought perhaps my bright bulbs are (both?) burned out. But my dim/bright switch

wont even flicker them when the 3 way switch is in the middle. I had noticed a while ago that sometimes when i start it and

turn my headlights on, and tilt my column down, i would have to move it a bit up and down several times to get the lights

to come on. ANY INFORMATION ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THIS WOULD BE SO VERY HELPFUL

I am not even sure where to begin, I think this is a column switch problem possibly??

The switch in the off position has only Daytime Running Lights on, your 9006 low beams, when in the middle position it still has only your DRL's but it turns on the ambers and tail lights, as if it was completely on, but its NOT. When in the up fully on position, then and only then you should be able to switch your Highs and Lows, 9005 (Highs) and 9006(Lows). Hope this helps.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The switch in the off position has only Daytime Running Lights on, your 9006 low beams, when in the middle position it still has only your DRL's but it turns on the ambers and tail lights, as if it was completely on, but its NOT. When in the up fully on position, then and only then you should be able to switch your Highs and Lows, 9005 (Highs) and 9006(Lows). Hope this helps.

This is 100% correct, I also have a 96 model that the DRL's are on with the headlight switch in the OFF and Park light positions and when switching to ON(straight up and down) the headlights turn off, but i CAN toggle the brights. It is actually my dad's work truck and we think it is the 3 way switch, but he never fixed it b/c he uses the DRL's and the switch in Park light mode for night driving.

Is this what your talking about?

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes when the switch is off i have drls, when the switch is half way my dashlights and my other park lamps and brake lights come on,

when the switch is fully engaged i have everything but no headlights , just parking lamps and interior lights and dash lights

is there a headlamp fuse or something that could be blown? it would have to be seperate from my drl circuit

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also i noticed that the steering column going up and down affects the lights, with the column all the way up no headlights on,

as soon as the column is moved downward they are supposed to come on, recently ive noticed i would have to go up and down

a few times with my steering column to get them to come on, but its been very cold outside,

is there a switch in the steering colum perhaps a column position switch or something or other

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
def sounds like a wiring issue. if you have to toggle the steering column to get the lights to work then theres a wire in there thats being disconnected and when you move the steering column in the right spot it reconnects those wires.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
def sounds like a wiring issue. if you have to toggle the steering column to get the lights to work then theres a wire in there thats being disconnected and when you move the steering column in the right spot it reconnects those wires.

Ah, yes this ^

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks like im in for my share of trouble

have to pull some dash i guess

was hoping someone else on here had this same problem

tongight i had no headlights at all nothing not even drl

dont know whats going on but it sucks

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
96 isnt too bad, you pull the dash trim and your all the way at the column, you then tilt up your wheel, pull the tilt lever strait out towards the door, youll next need a TORX size 15 or 20 I think, youll see 2 or 3 screws under the column that you need to pull then it will basically just pop right off. If you can wait I could post up some pics to get it pulled.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im going to check the wiring that i can get to in the meantime

i would like to thank you all very very much, electrics intimidate me

i like turning wrenches cleaning out carbs and outboards and no brainer ****

this 400 wire strand of rainbow bs just really confuses me