305 Is a Turd Correct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a 1960 C60 dump truck with a 283 2 BBL in it, Now that was a DOG! :wink:
The '64 C-10 stepside that I learned to drive in had a 283 under the hood and it strolled pretty good. The Spark-O-Matic floor shifter was a total PITA. Can't even imagine that engine in a dump truck. The one thing I did like about those old ton and a halfs and two tons was that I could get under the hood and walk around in there.

cdone

Reaction score
Not true at all. GM put 305s in C50 and C60 chassis school buses and they were actually common in C20 suburbans and G20 vans in the 80s.

I've driven one of those buses. My pushmower has better acceleration, with an unmotivated 15-y/o behind it.

Not saying it's a bad engine, but the fact some idiot decided to stick it in a bus doesn't mean it was up to the task. Manufacturers underpower school buses all the time, because most of them don't see much (if any) highway use. This is also why most districts have a dedicated fleet of activity buses for the long trips, with undercarraige storage, bigger motors, etc.

cdone

Reaction score
Speaking of which... Just saw this posted on Craigslist today.

1965 Chevy C60 school bus with a 292 l6
Hah, they want $5k for that? A church I used to drive for sold a beautiful Thomas-built in excellent (for a used bus) condition, for $4k. If I had realized how little they were selling it for I would own it... I put a lot of miles on that bus.

I guess the '65 is a "classic" maybe, but to me an old bus that hasn't been taken care of just looks like a dumpster fire waiting for a match. To each their own, though. :⁠-⁠) I just happen to like driving them more than working on them... EVERYTHING on a bus is large, heavy, expensive, difficult to source (things look like a semi part, but are just different enough to not be compatible), beat to hell, or some combination of all those things.

l1lartur0

Reaction score
Hah, they want $5k for that? A church I used to drive for sold a beautiful Thomas-built in excellent (for a used bus) condition, for $4k. If I had realized how little they were selling it for I would own it... I put a lot of miles on that bus.

I guess the '65 is a "classic" maybe, but to me an old bus that hasn't been taken care of just looks like a dumpster fire waiting for a match. To each their own, though. :⁠-⁠) I just happen to like driving them more than working on them... EVERYTHING on a bus is large, heavy, expensive, difficult to source (things look like a semi part, but are just different enough to not be compatible), beat to hell, or some combination of all those things.
It's from the Austin area where everything seems to carry a premium price (or, as I like referring it to, a "Hipster Tax"). Don't think that it's even worth $5k in parting out or scrapping... well, perhaps to someone, but not me!