Headache Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope this is the correct place to put this, if not please move it to the right spot.
Anyways im taking a welding class this tri and am tossing around the idea of building a headache rack for my truck. I would like to keep the toolbox in the back and be able to mount some cargo lights on it. I have a dual split window in the back that I would like to still be able to use. Does anyone have some type of plans that I could take a look at? Sorry but im god awful at custom fab type stuff.
Thanks!

Skylersa

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is a little drawing to get you going in one direction or another. There are an unlimited number of placements for the steel. It is all about what you want. I will be getting my ecsb back on friday, I will be able to measure all of the steel. Would you be interested in me drawing one up for you? I've been a few of these for many different trucks. Personally I like the look of the placement of the square tubing in that order, with expanded metal covering the window. Airflow is not hindered from what I can tell.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can grab you some pictures of my back rack tool box mounts tomorrow to give you an idea how it goes together....

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i made this one from scratch
You must be registered for see images attach

this was made by a company but i modifyed it and put the pic top bar with the light in it and i put the mesh in it

Last edited:

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies every one!
Bluex thats part that im unsure about so pictures would be great!

Skylersa any measurements would help give me a idea of how much steel I will need. Thats the style that I started thinking about but my rear window is twice as wide as a stock one and I was worried about the bars being to far apart.

loudnlifted88 I really like the look of that one! It looks clean and has tons on places for lights.

Vortec lover I hope to start it in a few weeks as welding is still a little rough.

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a backrack that I found needs some re working to fit nicely, cut down, center bar removed and side braces removed so a tool box can be added.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
If you wanna do this use the mig in the shop don't try to arc weld it you will end up with a mess

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well its not going to be that soon since I still have to get steel but that is what I was hoping to do.

What size steel should I use for it?