Headache rack builders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually have a friend who is a mechanical engineer for kohler here in wisconsin. I bet he could make it for me but i would need all of the measurements. If yiu habe them it would be great.

Sent from fiberglass covered Galaxy S3

Ringostar

Reaction score
Here is the headache rack/roof rack setup I had on my 2001 2500HD. I added to 2" receivers facing vertical to slide and lock it in place when I wanted it or I could remove it when I didn't want it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ringostar

Reaction score
Now that's pretty damn cool. I like the reciever hitch idea. Keeps it solid I'm sure. Not quite big enough, for me personally

Thanks, it turned out ok for round one on it, I would do something's differently if built another one tho.

On the size part of it, keep in mind weight, where you are placing it, and what is supporting it. My original design had the roof rack extending over the cab to about the middle of the cab. I quickly realized that won't work if I wanted to be able to remove/install it myself. I also don't know if the bedsides would have supported that much weight leveraged that high and that far out. You could probably use aluminum instead of steal to save a lot of weight, but that was out of my budget.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That thing looks sweet never thought of the detachable part. I will definatwly be doing that now for sure. Thanks for the great idea.

Sent from fiberglass covered Galaxy S3

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, it turned out ok for round one on it, I would do something's differently if built another one tho.

On the size part of it, keep in mind weight, where you are placing it, and what is supporting it. My original design had the roof rack extending over the cab to about the middle of the cab. I quickly realized that won't work if I wanted to be able to remove/install it myself. I also don't know if the bedsides would have supported that much weight leveraged that high and that far out. You could probably use aluminum instead of steal to save a lot of weight, but that was out of my budget.

I also have a carr light bar. What is inwas to use that over the cab as extra support so the cage could go over more of the cab.

Sent from the over used computer that is a phone