Having trouble with a no-start 98 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stikxs

Reaction score
Heya, so I'm fighting a no-start issue on my truck, a 98 k1500 5.7 with 170k miles. Short version of the back story is it overheated and blew the back passenger lower intake manifold gasket out. Replaced it but did not get it sealed well enough and still leaked a little so took it apart for round 2, then it got severely back burner-ed and sat for about 7 years. Just finished putting it back together and now it doesn't want to start.

I've gone back and reset the distributor with #1 tdcc to ensure that was good, drained all the gas out the tank (had over 15gal...) and put a little fresh in, changed fuel filter, also had to replace fuel pump. I have tested the fuel pressure at the port, 60 on prime and drops back to about 50 after the pump stops and stays there pretty well. With just regular cranking it turns and will rarely catch for about 1/4 second but fail and keep cranking. If I spray some starting fluid in the tb it will fire up but limp down quickly until the fluid is gone after about 1-2 seconds. I haven't yet been able to do an actual spark test (waiting on it to arrive from amazon), but since it at least kind of runs on the fluid I was thinking the spark should be ok (the plugs/wires are probably less than 20k old, the cap/rotor button is essentially new aside from just sitting). And since the fuel looks correct on the rail I was kind of suspecting a stuck/clogged spider? Would it be possible to remove the upper intake and reconnect the fuel lines and pull the injectors out to verify during cranking they are all squirting (with ign fuses removed probably)? Is there something else I can look at for a culprit?

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
I was kind of suspecting a stuck/clogged spider? Would it be possible to remove the upper intake and reconnect the fuel lines and pull the injectors out to verify during cranking they are all squirting (with ign fuses removed probably)? Is there something else I can look at for a culprit?
I agree, 7 years of sitting+ good fuel pressure, + runs on ether = most likely: stuck poppets in the spider.

And yes, it's possible to fire the injectors w/the plenum lid off. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

I've had good results tapping on the injector/poppets w/a light device to give it a sharp shock w/o breaking it...that seems to get them flowing again. Sometimes.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the temp sensor. If it fails it reads 40 below and truck won't run. Cap and rotor i would change before pulling upper intake. That said it still kind of sounds like fuel but cap and rotor is easier than upper intake.

stikxs

Reaction score
Check the temp sensor. If it fails it reads 40 below and truck won't run. Cap and rotor i would change before pulling upper intake. That said it still kind of sounds like fuel but cap and rotor is easier than upper intake.
I assume coolant temp sensor and not intake temp sensor right?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect scan tool, verify all the sensors and computer outputs.

IF this turns out to be stuck injectors, (which seems likely) I'd dump some Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the fuel tank after you get it running. Techron should dissolve any remaining varnish deposits.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm suspicious of the Passlock too. It cuts power to the injectors if there's a failure. The way you described the truck "catching for 1/4 second but failing" kind of sounds like the typical Passlock issue, which is a very brief start and then dying immediately.

What is the "security" light on your dash cluster doing when it acts up? That could be a sign.

stikxs

Reaction score
Vats is already off; I have a 411 pcm in it.

The engine coolant temp sensor also reads correctly.

Thanks guys!