Has anyone ever snapped a torsion bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Also not to mention the stress is in torsion so it will take A LOT of force or a defected bar...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I still forgot to take a pic of the keys... But I really think you'll be waisting your time flipping them. I really don't think it will help, but I've been wrong before.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The bars are (well, not completely accurate but the easiest way to understand it) spring steel. The same principles as coiled springs are involved, except they're not coiled. The spring rate is a function of the properties of the metal, the thickness and often the length of the bar.

If they are not returning to the OEM position under a standard load (ie: no big bumper, winch, etc) then the metal is fatigued past it's yeild point.

Inverting (well, flipping them back to front or left side to right side) them may help for a short period, but if it is past yield they will eventually "sag" the opposite way.

It is highly unlikely they will "snap" from a simple reversal of loading. A torsion bar break would be caused by a defect in the bar or damage to the bar. For example: you hit a hazard and create a gouge in the bar surface. This causes a stress riser that concentrates stress at that point. It's not designed to deal with a focused point of stress so the metal yields and breaks.

By inverting the bars, you'll probably just speed the rate of sag. Think of it as grabbing a piece of metal and bending it back and forth. Eventually, it gets easier to bend it at the stress point and if you keep at it it will break at where you have been bending it. A torsion bar is going to take more cycles than you can give it before it will break, but you can get it to a fatigue point where the metal properties start to change (ie:sag)

Last edited:

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Personally id just hit up a junkyard and buy some 3\4 ton bars that havnt been cranked and have low miles on them and call it good

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The bars are (well, not completely accurate but the easiest way to understand it) spring steel. The same principles as coiled springs are involved, except they're not coiled. The spring rate is a function of the properties of the metal, the thickness and often the length of the bar.

If they are not returning to the OEM position under a standard load (ie: no big bumper, winch, etc) then the metal is fatigued past it's yeild point.

Inverting (well, flipping them back to front or left side to right side) them may help for a short period, but if it is past yield they will eventually "sag" the opposite way.

It is highly unlikely they will "snap" from a simple reversal of loading. A torsion bar break would be caused by a defect in the bar or damage to the bar. For example: you hit a hazard and create a gouge in the bar surface. This causes a stress riser that concentrates stress at that point. It's not designed to deal with a focused point of stress so the metal yields and breaks.

By inverting the bars, you'll probably just speed the rate of sag. Think of it as grabbing a piece of metal and bending it back and forth. Eventually, it gets easier to bend it at the stress point and if you keep at it it will break at where you have been bending it. A torsion bar is going to take more cycles than you can give it before it will break, but you can get it to a fatigue point where the metal properties start to change (ie:sag)

That is the best explanation I have ever heard.

yossarian19

Reaction score
Not a metallurgist but in the ASE guide books the point of "do not ever flip end for end or side to side" was repeated mor than once. I wouldn't.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2