Hard Shift 1-2 gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 does the same thing but I think it may be in the tune. I am running a 0411 ECM. Another issue I do have is that the converter unlocks while cruising down the highway when its raining out. Then, it will lock back up again like nothing happened. I dont think its the brake switch but its weird that it only does it when it raining out. Not sure of both problems are related.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 does the same thing but I think it may be in the tune. I am running a 0411 ECM. Another issue I do have is that the converter unlocks while cruising down the highway when its raining out. Then, it will lock back up again like nothing happened. I dont think its the brake switch but its weird that it only does it when it raining out. Not sure of both problems are related.

One thing I did to my old van that had brake light switch issues (the pedal was not adjusted properly and it kept blinking) was put a piece of elastic (or a large rubber band) on it to exert positive pressure on it to help the spring keep the pedal at the top. This kept the blinking from happening and all of a sudden it would remain in lock. It is a very cheap way to see if the problem changes, just don't prevent yourself from using the brakes.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to update my issue in this thread. I found the cause of the late and harsh 1-2 upshift. It was a broken inner spring inside the 1-2 accumulator housing Ordered a new spring and now Im good. Well, except for the feeling of something slipping in the trans when I step on the gas to pass to someone and it downshifts to 3rd and the tach jumps to 4K and the truck doesnt ready go anywhere.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I finally found the problem behind my harsh shifts.

It was the ECM

I swapped in another computer from a 94 model and it completely solved my problems. Every issue I had went away and it's normal now.

So I'm going to get a new computer and swap in my PROM, if that doesn't fix the problem then it must be in my PROM.