Hard Shift 1-2 gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will throw this out there, my 95 has extremely hard 1-2 shifts....replaced the TPS. Fixed it.
That is one of the things I have done already. Did not help mine.. Sooner or later even a blind squirrel will find a nut , so there is still hope for it and me. One piece at a time lol

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Well that gives me two options now
Im swamped with school related stuff right now but as soon as i can get a new speed sensor and test that then a TPS if i have to I'll post the results.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Crawled under my truck today, sensor is on the driver side right at the tail end of the transmission.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got another one to try, I will change it this weekend when I go home and see what happens. Would change it out this week when i have some downtime but don't have anything to catch the fluid with.
Part # from autozone was like SU1090

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crawled under my truck today, sensor is on the driver side right at the tail end of the transmission.

Got another one to try, I will change it this weekend when I go home and see what happens. Would change it out this week when i have some downtime but don't have anything to catch the fluid with.
Part # from autozone was like SU1090
Would be super nice to be a simple fix ! If this works for me I will be like the old lady in the catheter commercial on tv.. not just a atta boy but a big screaming woo hooo.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
UPDATE:

So I finally replaced the speed sensor today, and well, it didn't do anything. Same thing still happening.
So, my next course is to replace the TPS in the coming days if not tomorrow.
I will also add that my truck jerks very hard when shifting from a stationary gear to a moving gear. So P or N to D or R causes the whole truck to jump in place and is very violent.
Makes me want to lean more towards the TPS. But I will replace it shortly and post my findings!

Last edited:

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE:

So I finally replaced the speed sensor today, and well, it didn't do anything. Same thing still happening.
So, my next course is to replace the TPS in the coming days if not tomorrow.
I will also add that my truck jerks very hard when shifting from a stationary gear to a moving gear. So P or N to D or R causes the whole truck to jump in place and is very violent.
Makes me want to lean more towards the TPS. But I will replace it shortly and post my findings!
My VSS came in today and it took longer to jack it up than it did to replace it.. But like you no cigar ! Still same thing, I don't have the violent shift from park that you describe. It is the sometimes hard shift from 1-2-3 like it has a really firm shift kit in it. So far to date I have had transmission rebuilt, torque converter replaced when rebuilt, new TPS, and now new VSS. I have a brake switch ordered for it, and then if I still have no cigar. I am going to try another shop. Oh how I long for the turbo 350-400 days again. I have gotten lazy in my old days and don't like shifting gears anymore, but even a five speed is sounding good at this point.
My 98 it is located passenger side on tail shaft housing.

Last edited:

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
My VSS came in today and it took longer to jack it up than it did to replace it.. But like you no cigar ! Still same thing, I don't have the violent shift from park that you describe. It is the sometimes hard shift from 1-2-3 like it has a really firm shift kit in it. So far to date I have had transmission rebuilt, torque converter replaced when rebuilt, new TPS, and now new VSS. I have a brake switch ordered for it, and then if I still have no cigar. I am going to try another shop. Oh how I long for the turbo 350-400 days again. I have gotten lazy in my old days and don't like shifting gears anymore, but even a five speed is sounding good at this point.
My 98 it is located passenger side on tail shaft housing.

That's too bad to hear; seems like we're in the same boat mostly.

UPDATE:
I went and got a TPS earlier today and just went out and installed it. It seems to have made a little bit of a difference maybe. I'll need to put some city miles on it before i can really tell but in the parking lot it seems just a tad better.
Still has the violent shift from park however, so i do not believe it is solved; maybe work itself out with time haha

Not sure what i will attempt next, maybe try another ECM first just to check and then i'm at a loss.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's too bad to hear; seems like we're in the same boat mostly.

UPDATE:
I went and got a TPS earlier today and just went out and installed it. It seems to have made a little bit of a difference maybe. I'll need to put some city miles on it before i can really tell but in the parking lot it seems just a tad better.
Still has the violent shift from park however, so i do not believe it is solved; maybe work itself out with time haha

Not sure what i will attempt next, maybe try another ECM first just to check and then i'm at a loss.
I have another ECM that I bought for mine and it was flashed to my vin # I would still need to do the crank sensor relearn procedure and anti theft relearn. I just don't believe that is the problem. I will do the brake light switch, because the other day when I was on way back on a twenty mile jog with it, the hard shift started and as it was in that mode going down the road the cruise control would not work. And when it would go back into its normal mode the cruise would start working. I will install the brake switch and then I will know, the TPS,VSS,brake switch.. etc has been done. I was told when the trans was rebuilt that I got a master solenoid replacement in the trans. I don't trust the shop, they went to **** over the years and they have since went belly up. My truck does the exact same thing it done from day one and I went back & fourth to give them a chance to work it out and it is still what I started with bookoodles of bucks later. And they are history.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I have another ECM that I bought for mine and it was flashed to my vin # I would still need to do the crank sensor relearn procedure and anti theft relearn. I just don't believe that is the problem. I will do the brake light switch, because the other day when I was on way back on a twenty mile jog with it, the hard shift started and as it was in that mode going down the road the cruise control would not work. And when it would go back into its normal mode the cruise would start working. I will install the brake switch and then I will know, the TPS,VSS,brake switch.. etc has been done. I was told when the trans was rebuilt that I got a master solenoid replacement in the trans. I don't trust the shop, they went to **** over the years and they have since went belly up. My truck does the exact same thing it done from day one and I went back & fourth to give them a chance to work it out and it is still what I started with bookoodles of bucks later. And they are history.

Yea that makes me sound really suspicious of the transmission and definitely get it verified by another shop or someone that really knows what they're looking at.
I learned yesterday that my transmission is actually a GM Remanufactured transmission, so it was remanufactured by GM then sold out. The guy who helped install it uses them all the time and hasn't had problems out of them so i'm not sure what to do.