h6054 conversion upgrade to 9003/hb2/h4 lights 88 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got this kit below to convert to the newer style bulbs as I have seen the OEM styles stocks on shelves getting scarce.

https://www.carid.com/1988-chevy-ck-pickup-headlights/lumen-7x6-rectangular-crystal-headlights-546335519.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Regular Cab

The install will be a piece of cake, the ice cream install (accent light) not so straight forward as no instructions or notes included for that hook up.
The bulb is blue and the local leos frown on running blue lights on the front, even on lighted washer housings. Thinking about swapping for green or purple if that can be procured.

If I wire them up thinking of connecting to park lights system with a relay installed so when headlights come on they go off.

Thoughts or if you have been down this road hints and tips.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for finding those posts. The second one dealt with LEDs and projector headlights. Mine is just going from OEM sealed beams to replaceable 9003/hb2/h4 bulbs. Just the newer vehicle style. Except mine have grace lights that must be wired separate to shine. Like those halo style lights that you see during daytime, DRL.

The first one is good info to give the lights more current to increase the brightness or maximize the bulbs potential. So I have bookmarked it for my files.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally the only way I'd spend money upgrading a set of the W/T rectangular headlights would be on a set of these.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/led-headlights-for-w-t-front.23337/

Otherwise just upgrade the headlight harness like in the thread @deejaaa linked to. The sealed beam W/T lights really aren't that bad, and I don't think you're going to get any kind of upgraded output by switching to those adapted housings you linked. As for scarce stock on shelves, just order what you need. How often are you really changing headlights anyway?

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking for the easiest method to save me time and effort in making light changes. I had to change one out about a year ago and having to tweak screws every time is a pain do to the location of the screws with the grill in place and lack of elastic fingers to get the screws in and out of the holes.

And it would be my luck that it would go out at 0 dark 30 in bfe and my screwdriver is in my toolbox at the house 9 hours away. The closest place to get a replacement is closed and there is a storm coming in.

The newer bulbs fit in a small location take up little room and can be had on the spot. easy change and done in a NY instant.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you buy the TruckLite LED housings then you don't need to change bulbs anymore at all! :lol:

It is a lot of money, though. If I were you I'd throw a screwdriver and a spare light somewhere in the truck and call it a day.

Let us know how it turns out if you do decide to do this though, I've seen a couple of people say that similar conversion housings from LMC for the quad beam style lights actually work OK.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just not sold on the leds for headlights yet. maybe for the fog lights but not headlights at this stage. as far as never once one led dies you start losing the brightness and it looks bad over all.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
saw a big truck with the leds. instead of one led going out, a module does and you lose at least 10 at once. couldn't count them, going too fast.