Green98's K1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green98

Reaction score
Decided I should make a build thread to track what I've done and get some feedback.

Some background on the truck, it's a 1998 Chevy K1500 ecsb with z71 package. Don't have any early pics but my parents bought the truck when it was couple years old from original owners. Went through a few changes but was basically stock besides the muffler. Two years ago the Trans finally let loose at 205k miles and was parked for almost a year. At this point I had decided I wanted to buy my own truck since I was always using my parents instead of driving my car so I traded them my car for the truck. Was looking at buying newer but decided I'd rather fix this one up and make it how I want it instead of paying payments on something. And I've always liked the truck and know what's been done. Here's some pics of when it was a work truck and hauling in a parts truck for my other project.

You must be registered for see images

green98

Reaction score
This is about where I started with it, took the truck down right after new years 2014 for a rebuilt Trans then slowly started changing things. First started with a front bumper off craigslist.

Then a new third brake light. Stock one had been missing and the tape we had on the hole had started leaking so I ordered an led one.

Then tinted my tails and front corners, painted the bowtie, and billet grille.

My parents had needed the ladder rack for a couple things so this last September we were finally done with it and I was able to pull the rack and beat up toolbox and start setting the truck up how I wanted it. Changed the muffler that was now collapsed inside, had a 3" MagnaFlow bullet put on dumped at the axle for a cleaner look.

Next I pulled the chrome fender trim, demolded, debadged tailgate, and cleaned it up.

Last edited:

green98

Reaction score
I got tired of the yellow headlights and the third brake light being so much brighter than the tails so I ordered black lights all around. Got led tails with smoked lens in back and up front chrome with black and clear lenses. Also soft tonneau cover.

Rear bumper was now the only thing with the impact strips so i found a nbs rear bumper and put it on. Still undecided if I like it or not so I still have the stock rear. Been considering pulling the impact strips on my stock one and covering the holes with chrome molding or going to a rollpan and hidden hitch.

Picked up some different wheels and tires. Polished them up and installed with new center caps and lug nuts. Also tinted the windows, did 20% over factory rears, 20% front sides, and 5% strip on windshield.

green98

Reaction score
Picked up a cowl hood and painted it black for now.

Now this weekend I've been working on getting the rest of my outside lights led. Got some low beam headlights, switchback signals, and amber corners. My phone doesn't show lights very good but did the drivers side part way saturday night.

Sunday I pulled the grille to finish. Did the flasher mod and added one resistor to each side for the lights to all flash properly. Headlights are all 1 piece with no extra drivers and built in fan. They came with sleeves to change the color slightly between 5k 6k and 8k. I didn't notice much difference so I'm running the 8k sleeve and the switchbacks are still a little more blue than the headlights but look close. Only took bending a small piece of metal on the core support to clear the heatsink.

green98

Reaction score
Have not driven with the new lights but they are definitely brighter and wider pattern but do not seem glaring when standing in front of them. Think it looks a lot cleaner too, I'll try to drive it next weekend to see how they are.

This is where im at now. I have some sockets on order to do the 4 corner mod and some led backup bulbs also. I got some led pods thinking I would put them as either backup lights or in the front bumper to replace the ones there now. Propped one up in place and don't like how the square lights look in the round holes and think they stick out too much in the back and will get broken. Now I'm looking at putting the pods inside the turn signal housing kind of like the nbs trucks. I pulled the inside bulb to see what it would look like and think it might work. The pods I have are a spot pattern and I can mount them inside the signal housing in place of the inner bulbs and run the outer bulbs only then run round lights in the bumper probably with a flood pattern. Maybe put some strip lights inside the signal housing also like a halo if I need something brighter for turns. I've found a couple pics of pods in headlights but not much else. Has anyone seen this or have any opinions? I'm open to any ideas before I start cutting.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I liked the ladder rack/work truck version of the truck honestly haha. Trucks looking good though!

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
These trucks look really good in green, esp demolded! Nice job!