Grant steering wheel with air bag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balsam12

Reaction score
I can't find any concrete info if this steering wheel can be put on my 98 silverado. I know I will have to loose air bag. Anyone done this or know what adapater kit will work? Need some help!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Dang it, I have the part numbers at home, but I believe it is like: Part Number 3162

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Yes it is totally possible! :D You will need to unplug the airbag light on the gauge cluster because it will stay on. I will say that it is kind of hard to remove the airbag, because it is being held by 2 clips inside the steering wheel. I don't know if you already have the steering wheel apart.

I did this same procedure to my truck, because I hated the looks of the airbag ("Next Gen Airbag" '98 steering wheel), switched it to a 88-94 steering wheel, found out the multifunction switch was blocked, so then I switched it to the 95-00 non-airbag steering wheel. I then did the Grant steering wheel, but sent it back, and put the non-airbag 95-00 steering wheel. I just can't seem to like aftermarket stuff, I love my stock things, but to each their own. ;)

I hope this helps, happy swapping! :)

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Okay, sorry for the late reply. Here is the part number and boy was I off: GNT 3196 INSTALL KIT

Got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts, costed my $24.99.

Balsam12

Reaction score
That's the kit number 3196 I found aswell but everywhere I look it says not for use with air bag ?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree air bags are ugly but disabling them is not a wise move either. Too many distracted drivers causing head on crashes these days.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Will the turn signal be to close with an aftermarket grant wheel ?
Not too much, just a tiny bit thought. Your hand will pass it when you turn, but for me, I was so annoyed with it. But overall, it will not hit. Everything will work.

That's the kit number 3196 I found aswell but everywhere I look it says not for use with air bag ?
It just means do not use that for a airbag'd steering wheel. Don't use it to extend the steering wheel closer to you if it is not close enough or it can cause them to be incorrect, or the airbag yellow line may not be long enough to clear. Stuff like that. ;) I put a Buick LeSabre steering wheel on my truck because I liked how thin the steering wheel was and it was a '95 Buick w/ airbag. I used the extender for it, but I never hooked up the airbag because I had removed the clock spring when I bought the truck to put a 88-94 steering wheel in it, but the multifunction switch didn't clear. Even though I love that steering wheel, just can't get it to work with the multifunction switch. :(