Good shocks for the street

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is one of those questions that your gonna get personal opinions lol but for my 95 Tahoe 4dr whats a good shock to run? Don't go offroad with it, stays on the pavement

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I'm partial to KYB Monomax's.
Bilstein HD shocks are another good choice.
Both the above shocks are geared towards a firmer, more controlled ride on the street (and off road/towing/etc).

Rancho RS5000 shocks are another good choice but they have a slightly softer ride than the above "firmer" shocks.

Any of the Monroe branded shocks will give a softer ride than the above shocks but, based on my experience, they usually don't last as long (usually start leaking).

It all depends on the ride your looking for.
If you want a "stock" like ride, buy the Monroe shocks.
If your looking to firm up the ride, then try one of the first three shock brands I mentioned.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Laters

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100's they ride smooth and are tough. Has variable valving that adjusts by its self and they are mono tube gas filled, so no foaming or anything. They also have poly urethane bushings.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm partial to KYB Monomax's.
Bilstein HD shocks are another good choice.
Both the above shocks are geared towards a firmer, more controlled ride on the street (and off road/towing/etc).

Rancho RS5000 shocks are another good choice but they have a slightly softer ride than the above "firmer" shocks.

Any of the Monroe branded shocks will give a softer ride than the above shocks but, based on my experience, they usually don't last as long (usually start leaking).

It all depends on the ride your looking for.
If you want a "stock" like ride, buy the Monroe shocks.
If your looking to firm up the ride, then try one of the first three shock brands I mentioned.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Laters

Thanks ill look into those, I got the cheap yellow Napa ones right now pretty sure Monroe makes them

Bilstein 5100's they ride smooth and are tough. Has variable valving that adjusts by its self and they are mono tube gas filled, so no foaming or anything. They also have poly urethane bushings.

Was thinking about those wasn't sure how they would be for everyday driving

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Keep in mind shock valving suitability has a lot to do with the weight of the wheel and tire package, and to a bit lesser extent, the amount of offset on the wheels. Wheels that stick out further have more mechanical advantage over the spring, and effectively lower the spring rate, and require more damping.

A montube gas shock will keep the oil from foaming as mentioned.

Monroe, Gabriel and other house branded shocks are aimed at the cost conscious consumer, and offer a decent ride on a basically stock vehicle. They aren't going to be as suitable for a heavy wheel and tire package on ugly roads, as some of the others.

Factory z71 trucks had Bilstein monotubes stock as part of the package, and I don't recall seeing a z71 with any other stock tire than a 265/75R16.

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Bilsteins on my truck as well and they are a good shock.