Good Clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I've had good luck with Napa brand clutches. There just a stock replacement, but I have had good luck with them and I've probably installed them in 2 or 3 vehicles over the last few years. Hell I just put a new Napa clutch in my 79' Jeep CJ7 this winter, and it works flawlessly. I mean they aren't a racing clutch or HD or anything, but they do the trick for normal situations.

Remember to have your flywheel resurfaced when you pull the tranny.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have a 305 5 speed. The throw out bearing is beginning to whine when depressed. Nothing terrible, but it's annoying and embarrassing. I recently got the truck for towing my BMW track car, so I figure I should swap the clutch while I'm in there. I'd like something that's better suited for towing. I am considering swapping in a 350 as well and while searching, it seems the 350 used a 12" clutch whereas the 305 used an 11" clutch. Is this true? If so, can the 12" clutch be used as an upgrade for a 305?

I'm not racing the truck or anything like that... Just using it to tow.
You can up to a 12" clutch if you have an 11", but I believe the 11" was for the 4.3 and all v8 got the 12" clutch. With the correct flywheel, they are both interchangeable.
Honestly, I've had good luck with Napa brand clutches. There just a stock replacement, but I have had good luck with them and I've probably installed them in 2 or 3 vehicles over the last few years. Hell I just put a new Napa clutch in my 79' Jeep CJ7 this winter, and it works flawlessly. I mean they aren't a racing clutch or HD or anything, but they do the trick for normal situations.

Remember to have your flywheel resurfaced when you pull the tranny.
That's the route I was gonna go for the time being, but I got a better deal with labor and all.

Hayes stock replacement Clutch
Pressure plate
Throwout bearing
Alignment tool
Pilot bushing
New flywheel
Trans mount
5 quarts gm synchromesh
4 courts ATF for tranny
And a few other odds and ends for $350 labor included.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allright, well before i got out buying things, i'd like to make sure im buying the right thing hear. allright, well When i let off the clutch slowly, like leaving stop light in first girl, it makes this grinding time noise, very loud and embariising. its only when i let up slowly. if i just let go of the clutch you wont here it. sometimes itll do it when i let off a little faster. but really havn't heard it in the past two days. is that the throwout bearing, pilot bearing or?