GMT 400 Hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year makes and models can I get hydroboost from I seen a couple in the junk yard

Sent standing on the roof

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year makes and models can I get hydroboost from I seen a couple in the junk yard

Hello, well you can look for 1/2 ton's that came with a diesel, and some 3/4 ton's have hydroboost and some don't, and I believe all 1 ton's had Hydroboost, don't forget that 3/4 ton and diesel burb's also had it, also remember that the 88-94 unit is different from the 95+hydroboost unit, so just make sure that the year of your truck matches the type unit you look for.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Be careful of junkyard models. There's a plastic disc on the hydro unit (right above the height of MC) that faces the front of the truck that I believe is either blue or greeen on most trucks...if it's brown and there is fluid behind it, I believe that identifies a leaking hydro unit. I'm not 100% sure of that fact, but my first hydro had that system and definitely leaked.

Also, if/when you take a hydro unit from the truck, be ultra careful you do not get any debris inside the unit or it will eventually leak.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd Like to know how you got the Hydroboost to work by installing a Tee in the return line. I did that to mine and the Brakes were grabbing and the pedal was rock hard (due to the back flow from the P/S Pump going into the hydroboost return line. Got me the proper reservoir and it works great now!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have tee'd in to the return line on 4 or 5 truck's without one issue, and I have a hydroboost housing on handand it just has an extra nipple for the second return hose.