GMT 400 Hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a 98 1 ton 7.4l power steering pump bolt into my 98 half ton 5.7l? Doing hydro boost swap and want the correct pump thanks I'm trying to bolt it in but it's not straight the pulley is **** eyed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, well I know the 350 version from a 1 ton will bolt in, but I don't know about the 454, but I bet it will fit.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any special way to install the pump? I line it up and put the bolts through the front bracket and tighten them down, then I tighten down the back bracket and pressed on the pulled and its not correct when I loosen all the bolts I can hold the pump the way it should sit but then none of the bolts line up except the back bracket. At this point i'm thinking about just tighting down the back bracket bolts and leaving the front ones out but that doesn't seem very sturdy.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, well I know the 350 version from a 1 ton will bolt in, but I don't know about the 454, but I bet it will fit.

I pulled my entire Hydroboost unit plus power steering pump out of a 96 6.5 Turbo. I had to buy a new power steering pump because the reservoir didn't fit in my truck. I was having problems installing the new pump as well because the 6.5 Power steering pulley was different and it wasn't pressing on far enough and made me think it was in sideways or something.

Dragging can you help me Delete my ABS for good out of my 98. I think you said somewhere i need to pull the front brake lines and valve out of a 88-94 and the bend the rear line by hand and attach to valve as well is this correct? I feel like there is a lot of air in my abs unit and i can't get it out and I'm sick of the light that has been on for years lol.

norad848

Reaction score
I've got a boost unit out of a 99 3500 express 5.7L and a pump from an 02 1500HD 6.0L. Now as far as a master cylinder, if I get one for a 99 express l, will the brake line fitting threads from my truck match the threads on the express master cylinder? My truck is a 96 sierra 1500 Z71 5.7L.

TYREPROSNJ

Reaction score
I also just upgraded my 97 GT Gmt400 to Hydro also, what a difference. !5 years of driving with no brakes and I feel like it is a new truck. Thanks guys. I own a big shop and had one of my guys do it with me when we got a break in the action. I put in a new 3 line pump, new hoses, a rebuilt Booster, got another from the boneyard just in case (and for the push rod and pedal) and it feels great. I omitted the cooler (dont tow or go hard), flushed the box, Removed the EVO (I personally like it, and wanted to keep but have not figured out how as of "yet". The hydro whines a bit here and there, and the Brake pedal lets out a quick sigh everyone so often on first push in the am so well see what that is over time. I love this truck all over again and if anyone has any questions please post them as I will be happy to help if I can. Joe-Nj

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also just upgraded my 97 GT Gmt400 to Hydro also, what a difference. !5 years of driving with no brakes and I feel like it is a new truck. Thanks guys. I own a big shop and had one of my guys do it with me when we got a break in the action. I put in a new 3 line pump, new hoses, a rebuilt Booster, got another from the boneyard just in case (and for the push rod and pedal) and it feels great. I omitted the cooler (dont tow or go hard), flushed the box, Removed the EVO (I personally like it, and wanted to keep but have not figured out how as of "yet". The hydro whines a bit here and there, and the Brake pedal lets out a quick sigh everyone so often on first push in the am so well see what that is over time. I love this truck all over again and if anyone has any questions please post them as I will be happy to help if I can. Joe-Nj

TY - glad to hear it worked out!!

That whine, any chance the hydro unit is being starved of PS fluid? I don't think it would whine due to air in the brake system, but it's always possible.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When converting to hydroboost, is it better to use the GMT400 or GMT800 setup?

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When converting to hydroboost, is it better to use the GMT400 or GMT800 setup?

Personally --- I would do a direct swap for the 3/4t setup for the series your truck is. If you have a GMT400, swap for a GMT400 and then you don't have to worry about the setup working with your vehicle. When I did mine and built the parts list for everybody, all the parts were from a 3/4t suburban. Perfect fit w/no mods.

Helomedic1171

Reaction score
Personally --- I would do a direct swap for the 3/4t setup for the series your truck is. If you have a GMT400, swap for a GMT400 and then you don't have to worry about the setup working with your vehicle. When I did mine and built the parts list for everybody, all the parts were from a 3/4t suburban. Perfect fit w/no mods.

if you can find it - I wound up going with a GMT800 setup for my 98 K1500. it takes modification here and there, it is not a bolt-in, but it isn't as hard as solid axle swap. I used parts from a 2004 Suburban with HB, and got the HB unit and the hose from the HB unit to the gear box. I also grabbed the pedal and the gear box, and I bought a "new" (reman with reservoir) pump and the pump-HB hose. I later acquired the P/S cooler from another 2004 Suburban, and the GMT400 version as well, but I haven't used either one yet - I have a 12x12 plate cooler that I'm going to try first since I'm also running a hydraulic winch.

highlights:
- the pedal is worthless; the GMT400 quadrant is very different from the GMT800 pedal quadrant, and simply swapping pedals is not possibly without a LOT of drastic modification.
- the HB unit actuator rod (the rod with the eyelet that connects to the pedal) is too short. you need to measure the length of the rod from the vacuum booster, and then cut off the eye on the HB unit. At this point, you thread the remaining rod of the HB unit, and then cut off the eye on the vacuum booster (or perhaps a junkyard unit, so you have a backup plan) and thread the eye and screw it into the coupler nut.
- once you fix the length problem, I was concerned the brake switch would no longer be compatible, but this was not the case - it went back on just like factory, and the clip too.
- you DO NOT need the gearbox, but I grabbed it to do a gearbox swap in my truck. this requires further modification, but will work - otherwise, the gearbox you already have is just fine, and the fittings are all the same as the GMT800 setup.
- the hydroboost pump for a GMT800 is the same pump that has been used for 25 years, and can also be used on a Vortec engine with no mods; this is handy if you plan to do an LS swap later.
- the GMT800 lines were too short, at least the pump to booster line was. get lines for your truck base don your year/model with hydroboost. (or a 3/4 ton equivalent).
-if you haven't done the NBS master cylinder swap, now is a FANTASTIC time to do so. I have no idea if the GMT400 master works with the GMT800 HB unit, I already had a GMT800 Master cylinder.

I still have a few more things to do since I'm plumbing in a winch, changing the gearbox, modifying the intermediate shaft, etc. basically, stuff not having to do with the actual Hydroboost installation.