GMT 400 Hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
There is a valving difference between the master for 4 wheel disc and drums in the rear. Match it to what you are actually running.

Also, you should NOT be running a T off the 1/2t power steering pump. The 1/2t PS pump generates less pressure then the 3/4t and 1t PS pumps. Also, you MUST run a PS pump cooler or you're going to burn up your fluid quickly. GM sells a cooler that will literally bolt right into existing mounts (photo below). It's on the pricey side (around $100), but you can also get a summit unit for $30 and figure out a mounting solution.

If you currently run a 1/2t T'd and no PS cooler, check the temp after a day you're in stop and go traffic or hard wheeling...the fluid is going to be pipping hot. Hydro units are known for leaking out of their master seal and this can't be repaired by most people, so treat it with care!

I don't mean to hijack this thread b/c it's a great idea, but there's a bit more involved with swapping out an entire braking system and replacing it with a different setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

So is this sumbiatch gonna work? I just got it yesterday and was planning on doing the entire swap this weekend. I'm also interested in the delete kit.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...pump_1161683_3621&keyword=power+steering+pump

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Draggin!

So basically I just need to find the delete kit and I'm set. Yay.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I got the part # for the EVO solenoid delete and also found some good info on another forum regarding the delete. Seems like the delete did little to nothing as far as "firmness" in the steering feel, but did help with the wheel wandering we've all experienced. For the time being I think I'm just going to disconnect the plug from the back until I get the part. I would assume that your Check Engine light would come on after unplugging/deleting the solenoid? I only ask because in April next year I have to get an emissions done for my registration.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10246

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that pump is a 3/4t or 1t, but you want to match it to the hydroboost unit you have. Each unit has a different pressure rating and works with a specific PS pump...is there harm to a mismatch, I don't know. But with the amount of work and $$ involved with this swap, make sure you're plugging in the same parts.

Also, don't get a cardone Master Cylinder. They are known for leaking (not all do, but high failure rate) and it's a huge pain in the butt to redo it when they go bad...go AC Delco on the first round.

Steering firmness is going to be a bit worse with the delete. With the delete you are essentially running full pressure to your steering gear....but it is necessary for this modification to work correctly. You will notice the difference most on the highway. Normally on the highway the EVO restricts fluid and now you will be running wide open.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the solonoid unpugged on my 96 DD and the service engine soon light did not come on.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at on my swap. I've got everything in with exception of the feed line from the pump to the booster. To me it doesn't look like the line is going to work. The whole unit, including the lines came off a 1997 1 ton. This is what I'm left with:

Booster/MC installed and bolted into place

Line from booster to bottom of PS pump

All lines are connected and I am holding the line from booster to PS pump where it "feels" like it should go

Underneath truck where line should go into pump.

Here's what I'm unsure of and think might be the problem. I assume some 3/4 and 1 tons came with EVO. I don't know if this one did because the PS pump wasn't in the truck when I pulled it. That is the only thing I can come up with. Because with EVO the connection for that line faces the front of the truck, not the rear like the pic above. I don't know if I should take the pump off and reinstall the EVO component from my old pump, get this to work, or get the line bent properly to face the opposite direction. Any help is appreciated.

I HAVE to get this back together this weekend and was hoping it would be tonight.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I have no clue on the subject but I'd go with getting the "proper" and correct part versus bending a line to make it "work". Just my .02

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I have no clue on the subject but I'd go with getting the "proper" and correct part versus bending a line to make it "work". Just my .02

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

I shouldn't have said "bent". I meant to massage it into place. Either way I don't want to put it into a position where it has a chance to restrict flow.