GMT 400 Hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it matters when it comes to power steering pump which kind of rear brakes you have. For the master ya but I don't see what the pump would have to do with it unless it has a little more flow.

I've also never seen any 400 with factory rear discs, but I don't pay that much attention to them either....

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a valving difference between the master for 4 wheel disc and drums in the rear. Match it to what you are actually running.

Also, you should NOT be running a T off the 1/2t power steering pump. The 1/2t PS pump generates less pressure then the 3/4t and 1t PS pumps. Also, you MUST run a PS pump cooler or you're going to burn up your fluid quickly. GM sells a cooler that will literally bolt right into existing mounts (photo below). It's on the pricey side (around $100), but you can also get a summit unit for $30 and figure out a mounting solution.

If you currently run a 1/2t T'd and no PS cooler, check the temp after a day you're in stop and go traffic or hard wheeling...the fluid is going to be pipping hot. Hydro units are known for leaking out of their master seal and this can't be repaired by most people, so treat it with care!

I don't mean to hijack this thread b/c it's a great idea, but there's a bit more involved with swapping out an entire braking system and replacing it with a different setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, you should delete the variable steering servo on the PS pump. Essentially as speed up, the variable sensor is going to partially close itself.

Folks that have completed this swap and kept the sensor in place have noticed a tick in the steering...remember, this part was never intended to work with your brakes.

GM created a delete kit for the PS pump, it's about $45 and is easy to install.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, you should delete the variable steering servo on the PS pump. Essentially as speed up, the variable sensor is going to partially close itself.

Folks that have completed this swap and kept the sensor in place have noticed a tick in the steering...remember, this part was never intended to work with your brakes.

GM created a delete kit for the PS pump, it's about $45 and is easy to install.

Do you have a part number for the delete kit?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of factory 1 ton's with hydroboost that had no cooler from the factory, and I have not had a problem with them, but I am sure a cooler would keep the fluid cooler, and I have also tee'd in to the return line on at least a dozen 1/2 ton truck's with the regular vacume pump and had no problem, in fact I have 15K miles on my personal DD that is done the same way.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also agree about the variable assist type unit needing bypassed, I haven't personally converted on of those yet.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also agree about the variable assist type unit needing bypassed, I haven't personally converted on of those yet.

I have my sensor unplugged but it its staying to act up again anyway. From what I understand your just need a fitting from a 96 that goes in the pump an a 96 pressure hose. The hose is easy, but I can't find a fitting.

Anyone got one????

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also I should mention that both of the 1 ton's that I have owned without PS cooler's were both 94's. I don't have have the fitting but if I run across one I will let you know.