gm 1/2 ton ifs gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrmbrown93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anywhere online I can find the gear ratio for a gm 1/2 ton ifs

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there anywhere online I can find the gear ratio for a gm 1/2 ton ifs
There were multiple gear choices offered. Open up the glove box and look at the list of codes. If the glove box is original to the truck and the axles are original to the truck then the codes will show what equipment the truck came with. There will be codes that start with G. Search those codes with RPO (GT4 RPO) after it and you will come up with your axle ratio.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Cover will have to come off. Ratio is stamped in the ring gear.

You can jack it up, trans and tcase in neutral, spin a tire around and count driveshaft turns... Although I would just use tire size, rpm, and GPS speed with a calculator

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They don't mean anything. All 10 Bolt housings (as far as our trucks are concerned) are identical. The only difference is a 4wd truck rear is wider than a 2wd truck rear (longer axle tubes) They have no idea what gear set is going in the axle when the axle housing is made.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Sometimes they have a tag on the diff cover, but with Chevy's it's pretty rare

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
^^^ older ones used to have the tag on one of the pan bolts. Never seen one on one of our trucks tho.