Glass headlight reccomendation needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got the original composite headlights on my truck and they do not work well anymore. I did a half-hearted (1/2 might be too generous) polish job last summer, and that was enough to make me simply want to replace them. I've started a new job, which is out of town, which shifts this more to a need than a want.... driving home the other night/morning made that obvious. I'd like glass since that's not going to be damaged by UV rays.

I've heard people talk about Spyder headlights, but I'm not sure if they're glass or not... are they? They are more expensive than these that I find on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Len-...s-Lamps-Lights/361382045657?hash=item54240c67

What should I be looking for, or looking to avoid? I'm not interested in fancy bulbs or LEDS. I may do a relay harness upgrade at a later date, but the lenses/housings have to come first...the brightest bulb in a hazy box is ineffective.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One specific model of Spyders are glass, and they are definitely what I would recommend if you're looking for a glass-lensed housing. If you plug some of the reference numbers into Google you may be able to find them from other sources, but I'd recommend buying them from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-Chrome-Crystal-Headlight/dp/B004WMF8SG

Spyder SKU: 5012388
Spyder Part Number: HD-YD-CCK88-C
UPC Barcode Number: 847245012388

There's a giant thread with a bunch of cool lighting info including a pretty detailed review on those Spyders here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

That's not a bad price.... I'm showing $9X.XX right now.

There's a giant thread with a bunch of cool lighting info including a pretty detailed review on those Spyders here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

That's actually the thread that made me aware of the Spyder name, but apparently I didn't look closely.... glass is mentioned in the first post.

I will go through it again.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't know such an alternative existed for you composite guys. Ever think of converting your truck to the '88 - '89 four eye'd look? I think it's a nice look for these trucks, only trouble is finding good headlights and a proper aim job. It took me 3 tries at different stores to find Chinese Sylvania Extravisions which didn't blow after a few days. Definitely a shame that they don't make them here any more. Once you find a set that works, you'll be impressed with the output. I've taken to hoarding OEM high beams though, about the only used headlights I'd gamble with as most metro Detroiters don't use them much.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The glass spyders on amazon that @df2x4 linked are really glass. I've been running them fro a few months now and i love them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't know such an alternative existed for you composite guys. Ever think of converting your truck to the '88 - '89 four eye'd look? I think it's a nice look for these trucks, only trouble is finding good headlights and a proper aim job. It took me 3 tries at different stores to find Chinese Sylvania Extravisions which didn't blow after a few days. Definitely a shame that they don't make them here any more. Once you find a set that works, you'll be impressed with the output. I've taken to hoarding OEM high beams though, about the only used headlights I'd gamble with as most metro Detroiters don't use them much.

I don't want to switch to anything that uses hard to find parts. My truck is a daily driver. If I did switch to anything it would be to the work truck grill so I could use the LED 6054 replacements.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had clear Depos, a set that I think were Spyders that came with a truck I bought, new stock replacement lights, and a truck with the early 4-light setup. The best, by far, has been the new stock replacement lights. While the clear lights looked decent, the beam pattern was not particularly efficient. Stock has a more even, usable beam with fewer hot spots.

The 4-light setup was quite bad, though not quite as bad as the fogged stock lights my K1500 had.

Relays can make a bigger difference in light output than you would think. My K1500 only had 12V at the bulbs with the engine running, vs a bit over 14.5 at the battery. Great article here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html