Gizmo review: Scosche wireless FM transmitter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
So, I originally had planned on replacing the stock am/fm radio in my '94 K2500. However, being the interior on the truck is near mint, and any of the aftermarket decks I've had simply would look (in my opinion) completely out of place in that plain jane, utilitarian interior, I decided to opt for something different.

I read a lot of poor reviews on wireless fm transmitters, but was in a "big box store" one day, and found this guy for around $20. I figured, hey, it's worth a try.

You must be registered for see images attach

The way it works, is it's powered by two AAA batteries, it plugs into the AUX port on whatever device you're using (in my case, my Samsung Galaxy S4), then you set the transmitter (via the button on the front) to whatever station (preferably one that isn't near any other local station), then set your radio in your truck to the same, and away you go, your music through the radio.

I've got to say, it works amazing, and I'm extremely impressed given the negative reviews I've read. Sound quality is as good as I need for my uses, and most importantly, it's discrete and fits in your glovebox. One thing to note, on this particular model the cord used is very flimsy, and would probably break over time if you just used it as is. I remedied that with an adapter and ran an old straight aux cord I had kicking around:

For now I just throw it in the glovebox, and run it like this:

I might get more fancy in the future, but I'm really happy to be able to still use my "blast from the past" radio that came with the truck 20 years ago.

Now, before I end, I want to add something important. Set the transmitter close to a local radio station with a strong signal, it doesn't work so great. This is not a problem in central New Brunswick, Canada, where there's only a handful of stations. If you live in a more densely populated area with 100s of radio stations, you may not experience this the same way. Just throwing that out there.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
They're OK in a "get ya by" kind of way.

Sound quality is only ever going to be as good as the FM radio receiver in the truck.

For 20 bucks and a work truck, why not?

:)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
They're OK in a "get ya by" kind of way.

Sound quality is only ever going to be as good as the FM radio receiver in the truck.

For 20 bucks and a work truck, why not?

:)

If you're running a pounding sound system, you would not be using the stock radio anyways. That was the whole idea of this, to maintain the stock look.

No question the system in my old truck with a $200 deck and Kenwood 6x9s was better. Just very out of place in this interior, IMO.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're using a stereo that doesn't have an easy way to get a line-in (and that IS a neat trick on the old factory stereo by the way; saw that a while back) - FM transmitters can do OK. I got a cheapie one too as an experiment, to use in my 300C. It's got the 6 disc/NAV unit but no freaking aux input and no easy/inexpensive way to add one. So I got a Taotronics TT-FT01 for like $15 shipped and it actually works pretty awesome.

Plugs directly into the phone and charges up via microUSB just like my phone does (Craxberry, not the fruitphone shown in the picture.) So far the FM transmitter's battery seems good for several hours of play.

Richard