Getting water coming in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, still got a leak on the driver side but I don't think it's as heavy as it was before and passenger side seems drive now. So my next step is silicone the roof rack I think. The next decent day I get I'm going to take the roof rack off, silicone in and around the holes and reattach it and see where we stand after that. :hmm:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good news is we are heading in the right direction, I think, as things are better and I think that the reseal of those rear windows was a necessary thing to do.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a mystery leak in the rear of my suburban. I thought it was a heater core, but my dumb ass didn't realize I don't have rear heat and never did. Barn door seals seem to be ok. I'm thinking I might need to call up my local glass guy.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a mystery leak in the rear of my suburban. I thought it was a heater core, but my dumb ass didn't realize I don't have rear heat and never did. Barn door seals seem to be ok. I'm thinking I might need to call up my local glass guy.
Yeah, I don't have any rear plumbing in mine as far as heater core and such so my only options are windows, seals, roof rack and third brake light.

At this point, I'm confident in the 3rd brake light and the seals so the next step is the roof rack.

This thing WILL get fixed :Sumo:

Last edited:

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have any rear plumbing in mine as as far as heater core and such so my only options are windows, seals, roof rack and third brake light.

At this point, I'm confident in the 3rd brake light and the seals so the next step is the roof rack.

This thing WILL get fixed :Sumo:

I don't have a roof rack (I wish I did), but I do have an aftermarket LED 3rd brake light, I didn't even think to check that. What kind of silicone are you guys using on the roof fittings?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Siliconed the roof rack so we'll see what happens now. I'm feeling pretty confident about this one. When I took the roof rack loose to apply the silicone it was wet underneath the rubber pieces and the threads on the screws were wet. That tells me that water was getting in otherwise the threads should have been dry. So I've got my fingers crossed that this issue may be resolved.

@94burbk1500 I'm sure multiple different silicones will do the job but this is what I'm using. Got it from O'Reilly

You must be registered for see images

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Siliconed the roof rack so we'll see what happens now. I'm feeling pretty confident about this one. When I took the roof rack loose to apply the silicone it was wet underneath the rubber pieces and the threads on the screws were wet. That tells me that water was getting in otherwise the threads should have been dry. So I've got my fingers crossed that this issue may be resolved.

@94burbk1500 I'm sure multiple different silicones will do the job but this is what I'm using. Got it from O'Reilly

You must be registered for see images
Cool, thanks. I hope you got yours solved!

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had the mother of all leaks in one of my old gms, the design was to funnel roof water into the b pillar void, but they didnt add a drain hole so the pillars filled up with water till they overflowed into the floor pan...dealer couldnt find that leak after 3 visits and finally i tore it apart the weekend before deploying overseas...

anyhoo...my burb has the tail gate and those seals definitely shrink over time and let some water pass. the tricky leak was when the truck was parked nose-down on a hill in the rain and the rear carpet would get soggy. kinda the same deal as a above, the water would flow behind the seal and into the metal gutter in the bed pan (beneath the door jam) and then overflow into the rear of the truck. i added some drain holes there and she’s been dry ever since.

the water under those rubberized mats would get so stinky, i had to find a fix!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i had the mother of all leaks in one of my old gms, the design was to funnel roof water into the b pillar void, but they didnt add a drain hole so the pillars filled up with water till they overflowed into the floor pan...dealer couldnt find that leak after 3 visits and finally i tore it apart the weekend before deploying overseas...
If this silicone doesn't do the the trick then this will have to be my next course of action because mine is coming down right at the b-pillar so that's why I figured my next step was silicone in the roof rack holes. I didn't even think about the B pillar being a drainage spot and having a hole plugged up (or no hole at all #facepalm). It's supposed to be a pretty rainy week so I won't have to drag the hose out to test these fixes LOL

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update...Silicone was applied yesterday. We had some rain over night. From what I can tell is it was enough to make things wet but not a down pour. With that said, things on the inside stayed dry! So my next step is I'm going to run this thing through the car wash and see what happens. :popcorn:

I'm pretty encouraged, though. Even if the rain last night wasn't heavy (the ground under the Tahoe was still dry so it couldn't have been a big storm by any means :)) the rear end would have still been damp before I started on this quest so things are definitely getting better. The car wash test will make sure that all is fixed 100%. If it can stay dry under those conditions we are good to go :)

Last edited: