Fuel tank reccomendation needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My fuel tank leaks every time I get gas. I replaced the rubber hose and filler neck and the problem is worse than before. The area where the neck connects to the tank is rusty, and must not be solid anymore.

Where are you getting your new tanks? Brand? OEM from the salvage yard? I checked Rockauto, and shipping is almost as much as the tank itself.

I've got a long box with a 34 gallon tank, if I find one cheap, will the small 24 gallon tank bolt in place with no modifications along with the filler neck?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No...the tank sizes do not directly swap. The strap setup is pretty different for one end though it's been years since I looked closely at it.

Double-check the part # to be sure but it should be 15017934 and you can get an aftermarket copy off Amazon for about $145 and free shipping if you have Prime. It's from "1A Auto" which I have no experience with but claimed lifetime warranty right there in the ad.

Out of curiosity I checked Rockauto and tried Fedex Ground for the shipping option on the tank and it was only $26 that way. Maybe you have a default shipping option set that is more expensive?

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No...the tank sizes do not directly swap. The strap setup is pretty different for one end though it's been years since I looked closely at it.

Ok, thanks. I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Out of curiosity I checked Rockauto and tried Fedex Ground for the shipping option on the tank and it was only $26 that way. Maybe you have a default shipping option set that is more expensive?

I think you're close by to where they're shipping from. I've gotten several items from Rockauto from TX. I can't see where I can specify Fedex, but I can specify ground, which is the cheapest at $77.99.... "early next day" is over a grand!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap $78 vs. $26.. I just pulled down the shipping options list and the first available choice was Fedex Ground.

I'm guessing used tanks in good condition are tough to find due to your location, but in the event you do go hunting for one - the oldest you'll find that will work is 1997 and that's also a split year. Some of the pickups in 1997 still have the old style sender, and the parts don't swap. Not sure why the dealer parts site I used shows your tank fitting back to 1995 but as you've probably noticed, that application info is not always correct. The switch to the "plastic trash can" pump assembly and the large snap ring retainer happened during the 1997 pickup model year.

Richard

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to dig through my receipts to confirm brand and price, but I got mine from a local parts store when I had to change mine a couple years ago. I want to say it was probably a Spectra.

If you can afford some prep time, I would urge you to clean the shipping oil off of the new tank and paint it before installing.

Heads up- I was already planning to throw a fresh pump in my new tank, as well as some new straps. But when the old tank came down, I found the lines on the sender assembly too rusted to bother trying to re-use. And a previous owner had replaced several feet of fuel line with rubber hose, so I replaced that with nylon tubing. And while the tank was out of the way and I was messing with fuel lines, I found the main rear brake line on the verge of bursting, so I replaced that too. In short, a leaky fuel tank snowballed into tank, straps, pump, sender, fuel lines, and brake lines.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Holy crap $78 vs. $26.. I just pulled down the shipping options list and the first available choice was Fedex Ground.

Weird.

I'm guessing used tanks in good condition are tough to find due to your location, but in the event you do go hunting for one - the oldest you'll find that will work is 1997 and that's also a split year. Some of the pickups in 1997 still have the old style sender, and the parts don't swap. Not sure why the dealer parts site I used shows your tank fitting back to 1995 but as you've probably noticed, that application info is not always correct. The switch to the "plastic trash can" pump assembly and the large snap ring retainer happened during the 1997 pickup model year.

Thanks for mentioning that. I do recall you mentioning the change in tanks when I inquired about switching to the old setup when I was doing the pump, but had since forgotten about it. This piece of info means that checking the local yard will likely yield nothing... it's usually slim pickings.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Heads up- I was already planning to throw a fresh pump in my new tank, as well as some new straps. But when the old tank came down, I found the lines on the sender assembly too rusted to bother trying to re-use. And a previous owner had replaced several feet of fuel line with rubber hose, so I replaced that with nylon tubing. And while the tank was out of the way and I was messing with fuel lines, I found the main rear brake line on the verge of bursting, so I replaced that too. In short, a leaky fuel tank snowballed into tank, straps, pump, sender, fuel lines, and brake lines.

Yes, that's what makes this so frustrating.... I just replaced the pump, and brake line a few months ago. The fuel line is quite crusty, and I thought that might not last. I was not expecting the tank itself to be bad, and especially not this location.

The straps have paint flaking off, but are in great shape otherwise.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Double-check the part # to be sure but it should be 15017934 and you can get an aftermarket copy off Amazon for about $145 and free shipping if you have Prime. It's from "1A Auto" which I have no experience with but claimed lifetime warranty right there in the ad.

Richard
1A Auto is reputable, they actually make a ton of really good instructional videos too.

Reaction score
My fuel tank leaks every time I get gas. I replaced the rubber hose and filler neck and the problem is worse than before. The area where the neck connects to the tank is rusty, and must not be solid anymore.

Where are you getting your new tanks? Brand? OEM from the salvage yard? I checked Rockauto, and shipping is almost as much as the tank itself.

I've got a long box with a 34 gallon tank, if I find one cheap, will the small 24 gallon tank bolt in place with no modifications along with the filler neck?
The small tank will most likely not fit properly. Go to advance auto parts and get the tank from them. That is where I got the one for my 1997 chevy suburban k1500 and they are reasonably priced and you can get the straps

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
I actually have an extra 34 gallon tank that is just collecting dust....... would be willing to part with it on the cheap.... PM me if you wish to discuss.