Fuel leak 99 Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nedregaard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have a Chevy Suburban 99' 5.7 and when the engine running, it leaks fuel in the rear of the truck.
If I turn the ignition off its stops. So I believe its comes from the top of the fuel tank..
Any have experience that before? I have not taken the fuel tank down yet
Anyone knows what could be the reason?

Thanks for answers! :)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any significant drop in fuel pressure would have that small block Vortec stalling out, so likely the leak is the return line loose at the sending unit. But as the man said you'll be dropping the tank to deal with it.. hopefully the nipple on the sender isn't broken.

Richard

Nedregaard

Reaction score
nothing to do but drop the tank and see wtf is going on. or buy a borescope and peek over the top. you can get cheap ones that hook to a phone. https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Pa...ns&keywords=borescope+for+android+phone&psc=1

Thanks man! It did the job! The leak was on the return line, getting a new one Friday! :)

Any significant drop in fuel pressure would have that small block Vortec stalling out, so likely the leak is the return line loose at the sending unit. But as the man said you'll be dropping the tank to deal with it.. hopefully the nipple on the sender isn't broken.

Richard

Thanks Richard! You where absolutely right, the engine did not stall and the leak where a leak in the end of the return line. Hopes it goes well in the shop Friday, fingers crossed :D

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
How many miles are on that fuel pump? It might be worth getting a new one now if its around 200k