Fuel gauge not accurate...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Mine has differen't connections and a pressure sensor on the top. That one i don't believe does.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Mine has differen't connections and a pressure sensor on the top. That one i don't believe does.

Is the pressure sensor itself in the plate that fastens to the tank? Reason im asking is because the new unit reuses most of the module. you remove the original fuel gauge sending unit and the new one bolts in its place on the fuel pump module.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
It's on the top plate external to the tank. there is a set of wires that goes to fuel pump and gauge, then also a pressure sensor for EVAP i believe.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its most likely the sender, the off brand ones can do odd stuff when the contact points get worn. I had one that would work just fine but when the fuel in the tank would slosh around the needle would freak out spinning around and smacking the oil pressure needle below, all it was is the sender in the tank. switched to a delphi sender and it works perfectly now...

here's a video of the crazyness I took when I was trying to figure out what the problem was.
http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/guitargeek1968/?action=view&current=Insanefuelgauge.mp4

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Mine doesn't go anything like that. It just doesn't read accurately. at all. I wish i could just drill a new hole and add another one.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heh, yeah, its hard to see, but when the oil pressure needle twitches, its because its getting hit with the fuel needle.

mine was an extreme case, I'd still put my money on it being the sender judging from your description

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Yeah i just gotta find out what to do with it. im trying to find a GM unit for cheap