Fuel gauge not accurate...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
rockauto sells just the fuel level sensor... i think i may buy one or remove one from a pump

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever ruled out the stepper motor for the gauge?

the GMT800's have stepper problems, its much less common on the GMT400's, it does happen, but it's more rare than you'd think. and they don't make replacement steppers that I'm aware of for the GMT400's you have to have another cluster to either pull the stepper out of or swap the whole cluster.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
this is my second cluster and still vibrates, but my problem isn't the vibrating just inaccurate.

NotThatLow

Reaction score
i just now seen this and only scaned the first page but there two problems that i can think of right away first is the airtex fuel they are complete and udder crap never get one especially on a gm vehicle of any kind for some reason they just dont work very well. and the next thing would be the plug going into the fuel pump they are bad about going out and still looking like nothing is wrong.... side not i work at oreilly's and I have had to deal with these fuel pumps for a while now and the problem is so bad that even the company has taken notice and are changing to an new brand called precision fuel pumps if you dont go with them go back to the OE which is delphi

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's consistantly innacurate, like 1/4 tank on the gauge always means empty, you can re-set the needle pretty easily. basically just pull off the front plastic of the cluster, then with it connected, and the tank empty (or where ever you want to to be when it reads empty), just pull the needle straight off the stepper shaft, re-position it, and press it back on, and re assemble the cluster...

the problem the OP has is that its not consistantly innacurate, but rather it varies alot, which points to an electrical malfunction...like not that low mentioned, it could also be the connector at the tank, those things are prone to corrosion...

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
i had changed the connector when i did the fuel pump because it comes with a harness..... ive gone to a junkyard and they didn't have one.. im hoping that someone will get one in soon