Front turn signal switchbacks: what the heck!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No nighttime pics, just this one slightly dark garage pic. These are the old V-LED's SMD-style switchbacks (bought them long before they came out with their Triton product line) and a regular white corner LED. TYC housings and whatever brand clear corners I could find then. For color comparison, the HID's are DDM 35W 5000K. In person they look whiter than what came out in the pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am wondering myself though how a 194 switchback would work on a GMT400 corner bulb, since it's just a "single filament" type application. It's either on or off; it doesn't have two functions like the other 4 front bulbs - marker/turn. With the headlights on, as the turn signals blink, the corner lamp turns off. Hmmmm...

EDIT - I see while I was typing, Crytone addressed the same issue

Richard

That is the look I’m attempting to achieve, but I’ve run into some confusion. (I’m not the smartest with electrical systems at all)

I installed my switch backs into the sockets. ALL lights on, orange and white. Resolved the fast blink with the included resistors (I bought a cheap amazon package), but it seems the led bulbs have some kind of issue. They stay constant with all leds on, and flash with white only.. they SHOULD Be constant white, then just switch to orange for the turn signal I thought.

Just the cheap bulbs I bought? Some issue with connection or wiring?

20 year old original wiring in my 98 might just be finicky, but this is my first attempt at using switchbacks so I’m at a loss

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I can snag a picture to post in a few if it would help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try them before you installed the resistors, to see that they lit up correctly? While it sounds like you installed the resistors on the correct wires (it solved the hyperflash so it's unlikely you wired them wrong) just wondering.

Richard

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did, and they lit up with all chips. (incorrectly)

I was hasty in my decision to purchase these, and just NOW went back to read the horrible reviews, stating the same issues I had. It appears they are in fact poor quality, cheap chinese junk. I'll save em for something else and purchase a quality lamp, now that I know the resistors work properly.

This is all new territory for me, but I'm having a great time learning as I go.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're all cheap Chinese junk in my experience ;) though definitely some work and some don't, and varying degrees of "working" in between. My suggestion would be spend the extra bucks with someone that actually provides a warranty. I got my last switchbacks from DDM and they've been behaving fine in my Chrysler 300 for quite a while now. The same exact ones kept failing and one actually burned up in my wife's Dodge Magnum (since sold) so I quit trying.

Autolumination has some good ones as well but check them carefully on the warranty situation. It used to be if you wanted any degree of warranty you paid a little extra on top as a separate line item on your order, but I don't know what their current situation is.

Richard

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're all cheap Chinese junk in my experience ;) though definitely some work and some don't, and varying degrees of "working" in between. My suggestion would be spend the extra bucks with someone that actually provides a warranty. I got my last switchbacks from DDM and they've been behaving fine in my Chrysler 300 for quite a while now. The same exact ones kept failing and one actually burned up in my wife's Dodge Magnum (since sold) so I quit trying.

Autolumination has some good ones as well but check them carefully on the warranty situation. It used to be if you wanted any degree of warranty you paid a little extra on top as a separate line item on your order, but I don't know what their current situation is.

Richard

Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'll check out DDM and see what they have to offer.

I purchased my interior LEDs from SBL and was pleased. I'll definitely consider them again. Easy to order, offered chat/email/phone support if needed. Good service. Perhaps not the FINEST of lights, but the service provided will keep me around.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alot of guys in my truck club have issues with them, and some of them work perfect. the ones that work well are the more expensive ones and some of the guys wired in other things to make them work properly. im not gonna mess with it because i dont want any possible melted wires. all the advice i can give is get the best quality with a warranty and do lots of research.