front bag questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wanting to bag my frontend but don't want to run a tank, just a compressor, adjustable pressure switch. Is this possible or do I have to run a tank I'm not trying to lay frame just wanting a little drop to mach my 7" in the back (flip plus shakle) and for a better ride.
Also trying this on a budget so any tips on were to get supplies would be nice (what bags, regulator, were to get shock relocate brackets and such would also be nice
Just going for a simple install. No up and down, just a set and forget ride height.

Also a few question's for the back. Can I get a helper bag setup, and remove the over load leaf and mabey 1 or 2 of the shorter leafs(to soften the ride) and using the bags to maintain my current height wile also increase the overall ride quality? Or will it not work like that?
Thanks guys

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know much of anything about 2WD front suspension so I have no idea there.
Also a few question's for the back. Can I get a helper bag setup, and remove the over load leaf and mabey 1 or 2 of the shorter leafs(to soften the ride) and using the bags to maintain my current height wile also increase the overall ride quality? Or will it not work like that?
Thanks guys
I've contemplated doing this exact same thing on my 4x4. Not for lowering purposes but to give a semi-bagged setup for better ride quality + having the air helper bags to keep me level with a load. Basically using part of the stock leaf springs to keep the axle in place but using the bags for bearing a portion of the weight. Eliminating the need for complicated and expensive fabrication to make a 4 link or whatever you have to do with a 100% bag setup.

I'm not trying to thread jack but throw in my $.02 that I've thought of the same exact thing and don't see why it wouldn't work but, I'd love to hear some of the more suspension savvy members chime in on it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For filling the bags you can use a kit like this.

http://www.azproperformance.com/1-4-Manual-Schrader-Valve-Kit.html

I'm not as familiar with the availability of front kits for the 88+ stuff so I can't really help there.

On the back a helper bag setup is for helping. If you want to pull more leaves you need to use a better bag than what comes in those kits. What your talking about is an air over leaf setup an lots of trucks are running that.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/88-98-c1500-w-belltech-c-notch-airoverleaf-rear-kit.html

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much can the bag pressure fluctuat from 60° to 90° (60-70 in the morning then 90-100 of the afternoon) here. Is it enuff' to be obvious on the ride height?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason most guys run a tank, is because most compressors are not 100% duty cycle. Running bags up and down with just the compressor is pretty hard on it. An engine driven compressor can do it if you really want to go that way, but they make little 5" diameter 5 gal tanks that you can mount outboard on the frame and it doesnt get in the way of anything. You dont need spindles or 20s to run bags. But if you lowered it 7" in back, youll want to use a spindle so that at ride height youve got enough air in the bags to hold the truck up. Running a spindle, youll want to run at least 17s so you dont have to worry about clearancing.

In the back, your leaf springs are what locate your rear end not only front to back, but side to side. If you take too many leafs out, you need to compensate with a panhard rod, and to keep your leaves from wrapping up under acceleration and braking, you'll need track bars.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
when my truck was first bagged, i didn't have all of the parts for my air management... my truck was on Tee'd lines (front and rear) for a while.. i drove it like this without any problems.. i wouldn't recommend it in case of bag failure unless you have a compressor in the truck of some sort.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not a bagged guy so I could be way off base here. Couldn't you just use a tire type valve straight on the air bag? No plumbing, no lines. Essentially he will be a static drop.