Front axle equivalent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wstrnsky

Big Sky Country
Reaction score
What would be an equivalent front axle if you have a 14bolt semifloat rear axle? dana 44 to weak ?.... dana 60 over kill?.... To be used for daily driving and mild occasional off road (hunting, camping etc) no rock crawling or mud bogging. Thanks !!

I saw a cl post and was wondering if it would be a good donor truck for axle, engine etc.

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/3618304269.html

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dana 44 is fine for 35s or smaller. Anything bigger I'd recomend a 60.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
D60 would be more of an equivalent to a 14b, but a D44 will work fine for what you want to do. Most front axles are weaker than the rear anyways since the rear gets more power to it for longer periods of time.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a D44 up front with the 9.5" 14 bolt in the rear, I've broke a front axle shaft, no issues from the rear. Thats with 38" boggers and offroad abuse.

That truck is using a chev axle, could be a D44 or corp 10 bolt (same as rear axle). No front driveline so makes me wonder if the tcase has been swapped out.

IMO the only way that truck would be even close to worth the cost is if everything is completed, crossover steering, rebuilt and properly geared axles, usable hangers, etc. Otherwise you could pick up a older squarebody for parts for under $500 easily and have all the same parts. I paid $400 into a squarebody 90 Jimmy had 10 bolt axles, pass drop np241, 350tbi engine, 700R4 trans. Sold the tcase and front axle for profit used the factory hangers and rear springs for the swap, still have spare engine and trans.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what you are doing, your truck would be fine with a 10B/D44 on tires as big as 38". Just leave the front diff open.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The D44 was available in 1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton applications.

The 3/4 ton were pretty much the limit for this axle and was replaced in the ford's with a TTB D50, in the chevys with 3/4 ton 10 bolt and a D60 in the dodge.

The D60, generally is a 1 ton axle, the only 3/4 ton applications that come to mind for front axles are late 70s fords and 94+ dodges.

If wheeling is in your future, the Dana 60 will always be a better choice. A D44 or similar axle are honestly better suited for a mall crawler, especially if you want to run big tires and lockers.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Extreme 4x4 did a segment where they took a 14BFF and turned it into a front axle and it was cheaper than buying a D60